U-Know! Forum »
Who are these so-called 'Rich' people?

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jshell
333 posts

Who are these so-called 'Rich' people?
Oct 13, 2010, 13:48
OK, having read a number of threads recently where there are vitriolic references to the ‘Rich’, who are they? I’d love a definition from our more lefty-leaning activists on here if it’s possible.

So, how much does one have to earn to be classed as rich? £50k, £100k, £250k per year? Or is it a generic reference to anyone with ‘more’ than the person making the reference?
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Re: Who are these so-called 'Rich' people?
Oct 13, 2010, 14:04
jshell wrote:
OK, having read a number of threads recently where there are vitriolic references to the ‘Rich’, who are they? I’d love a definition from our more lefty-leaning activists on here if it’s possible.

So, how much does one have to earn to be classed as rich? £50k, £100k, £250k per year? Or is it a generic reference to anyone with ‘more’ than the person making the reference?

Strikes me as a bit of a silly question TBH, and you know it. How long is a piece of string? It's all relative isn't it?

I know you're referring to places where people have discussed "the rich", but it should be pretty obvious what is being referred to by the context shouldn't it? If not, ask in the specific thread.

Strikes me you're just trying to get a rise out of "lefty-leaning activists".
jshell
333 posts

Edited Oct 13, 2010, 14:18
Oct 13, 2010, 14:17
Hmm, good points and it may seem that way, however, I don't think it's really obvious where the demarcation line is drawn at all... Does it include people who have started from scratch, grafted all their lives and now get a £100k+ salary, or is it only for those born with a silver spoon in their mouths who'll never have any money worries?

Both are exceedingly well off compared to many less fortunate folks out there!

Edited to add: Not trying to get a 'rise', more of an appreciation for how others think...
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Oct 13, 2010, 14:18
Fair enough, sorry if I sounded arsey.
jshell
333 posts

Oct 13, 2010, 14:34
Squid Tempest wrote:
Fair enough, sorry if I sounded arsey.

Not at all, it's cool. I can see exactly why you would take it that way. A question like that is always gonna sound 'loaded' somewhere like this!
Wiggy
1696 posts

Oct 13, 2010, 15:15
OK, so these people who started from scratch, and grafted? Are they all the same? Do we admire them all for being wonderful entrepreneurs (and yes, I'm sure many of them are really sound and good people) or are many of them, as I suspect, greedy c*nts, who were happy to sell out, tread all over, and exploit lots of other people on the way up?
Just wondering what you think. =;o)
jshell
333 posts

Oct 13, 2010, 15:38
Wiggy wrote:
OK, so these people who started from scratch, and grafted? Are they all the same? Do we admire them all for being wonderful entrepreneurs (and yes, I'm sure many of them are really sound and good people) or are many of them, as I suspect, greedy c*nts, who were happy to sell out, tread all over, and exploit lots of other people on the way up?
Just wondering what you think. =;o)

You illustrate my point perfectly for me!

There are those that had a basic education, went to college/apprenticeships with part-time jobs to allow them to live and followed up by devoting their spare time to further education where they could get a decent job earning good money, but not enough to be in the tax avoidance/evasion bracket and they are now financing the country.

There are those who came from more financially secure backgrounds, started their own companies and employed people with all the benefits for employees and country (thru taxes) that entails.

There are many other examples too.

So, what’s wrong with either of the above making money and being ‘rich’? ...or are they both ‘rich’? I know hard grafting scaffolders risking themselves offshore in the North Sea who make over £100k/year. Are they the ‘rich’, and to be despised?

How the fuck do you define it?
Wiggy
1696 posts

Oct 13, 2010, 15:56
Well, I guess what I was trying to say, is that the things to be despised would be greed, unethical behaviour, and possibly a culture that encourages huge differentials in wealth.
Lets not forget that plenty of people work just as hard as those you seem to admire, and yet come away with nothing. If you turn life into a competition you will get plenty of losers for every winner.
I also think it's a little naive to suggest that employers are doing us all a favour first and foremost.
I've got nothing against people working hard to make a better life - my dad spent all his working life in the construction industry (bar a few years in the army and a few selling cars) - he and my mum sold everything they had so that they and some friends could buy a run down pub, turn into a profitable going concern, sell a few years later, buy some land and build themselves the nice house they always wanted. I don't think they screwed anyone on the way, and they weren't greedy.
Yep, it's hard to define "rich", "greed", and "ethical" but I think we can all have a good stab at it.
BTW - some of my favorite people were born with a silver spoon - I guess it's all about what you bring to humanity at the end of the day.
I don't hate the rich, but I'm not to keen on the system.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8763 posts

Oct 13, 2010, 16:00
Well said.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Oct 13, 2010, 16:13
Thankyou squid (although my comprehensive education let me down and I misspelled "too" as "to") =;o)
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index