rightwing Dutch politician assassinated

55 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: allow me to retort
May 08, 2002, 15:35
'I would like to hear you saying 'lets hear what they have to say' when the bastards are jackbooting down your street'

Of course I wouldn't be doing that if they - or anyone else - were jackbooting down my street. (Incidentally, does anyone know what a jackboot is? I can't find out anything, except for it being the footwear of choice for those wanting to be tyrannical).

What we're talking about is someone who was engaging in debate, who was prepared to put his ideas and reasons to discussion with all comers, and was not running any gangs of firebombers.

There are anarchists who engage in discussion and there are those responsible for the deaths of random innocent people. Should we be glad if someone shots Noam Chomsky because other anarchists are repressive and violent?

'MLK is as relevant a comparison to this guy as Che Guevara is to Stalin'

They are all relevant. I've not compared their *ideas* (which you imply I do), I'm saying that they were all seen as people espusing ideas that many people found dangerous, and they all knew there was a risk of them getting killed for it.

You've said knowing the risks means we shouldn't have a problem with Pim Frtuyn getting killed. If you like him being killed because he said things you don't like, then say it. But saying 'he knew the risks' only applies to some people who knew the risks is nonsense.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index