rightwing Dutch politician assassinated

55 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: rightwing Dutch politician assassinated
May 07, 2002, 18:47
'sorry, but that is overwhelmingly what racists & nazi's DO say today - "yes its all very well in there own country, but not in mine"'

Three things with this: one, just cos racists and Nazis would agree with something you say, that doesn't make you racist or Nazi. If Hitler said water is wet I wouldn't agrue that it was dry. Two; many racists and Nazis generally say that it isn't alright in any country. Three: That's not what Pim Fortuyn was saying.

His statement was that Islamic culture is extremely repressive and homophobic and such values have no place in a tolerant society, that such values in individuals are clearly disapproved of and threrefore culturally they should be diapproved of. (I'd fully agree with that, and chuck Judaism and Christianity into the bag too, btw.)

'Have the police and the tories really killed more people than the Nazi’s? Of course they have. But is that violence there MAIN orgainising tool?'

The threat of violence is precisely what gives the police all their power. It - and our fear of it - is their only source of strength, their only organising tool.

'I think the ANL are actually very clear in not just calling any racist a fascist/nazi'

This simply ain't true. There are lampposts on my street with ANL stickers against the BNP saying 'Don't Vote Nazi'. Whilst 'nazi' has powerful emotive value, it is inaccurate and easily disproven and thus makes it look like the ANL are crying wolf.

'(I see no meaningful difference between those two terms).'

Fascism is a centralised form of nationalistic government with little power of democratic change and usually a strong militaristic bent.

Nazism is fascism with a far greater emphasis placed on dictatorial principles and the strong power of the state and the subservience of the individual to the state.

People like Berlusconi and Fortuyn are clearly not Nazis. They are deeply ideologically opposed to essential parts of Nazi thinking. They want *less* state control, *less* public spending.

Thus I do say categorically that Pim Fortuyn was not a Nazi.

The BNP are not Nazis. Saying they are only makes the accuser look like Rick in the Young Ones calling any authority figure a fascist. It actually works against the genuine threats that racists present.

"And finally, actually I would agree with Mr B, he did know what he was doing, and what he was risking. In the same way that I do when I go on anti-nazi demo’s/actions. "

In which case, if you get killed by a bunch of NF twats, should we dismiss it with a casual 'he knew the risks'?? Or should we oppose the killing of people for using their freedom of speech?
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index