55 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
necropolist
necropolist
1689 posts

bloody long reply part one
May 07, 2002, 21:48
Many good and interesting points there.
Yes of course its true that occasionally we do agree with racists/fascists – but incredibly rarely on the question of race. ‘Modern’ racists and fascists (or perhaps I should say speakers for fascist parties) are rarely as crude as to simply say ‘I hate black people, they are sub-human’, because they know that isn’t an argument that will win many supporters. So it becomes an argument about culture, and ‘protection’ of ‘our’ culture. This not only allows them to find more supporters in this country, it also allows them to find allies in foreign countries –for instance amongst the Hindu nationalists. The moron Beacon, and other BNP leaders, leaders of the Italian fascist party, and many others have used this line when they try to say they’re not racist – its just about protecting ‘our’ values. But of course with them its obvious bullshit.

Did Fortuyn actually use that line of argument? I’m not an expert on the bugger by any means, like everybody else (I assume) I’ve only read the same articles that have been in the papers/quoted on here in the last day or two. But from what I’ve read I am very suspicious about his using being gay to justify another bigotry. Clearly a well-read and in many ways intelligent man, I find it impossible to believe that the only time he came across homophobia in religious/cultural work when reading Islamic material. As you say Merrick, there’s just as much bigotry in the other main religions, so why did he not choose to MENTION those? To solely mention Islam? There is no intellectual rationale, so for me, it must be a basic racist bigotry.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index