Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Jan 09, 2008, 00:52
International buzz about Obama
Jan 09, 2008, 00:41
So, I hear the world is abuzz with the possibility of a president Obama?

Interesting to see how a win by the young senator would change the USA and it's relationship to the rest of the planet.

To the doubters... why not? Yeah he's young.. only a year older than I am! But the 'experienced' generation hasn't impressed me with their handling of the helm.

What Barack Obama really represents is a move away from old-school family dynasty politics... Americans don't want another four to eight years of Clinton vs. Republicans.

Hillary would only end up polarizing the country, just because she's Hillary... sad, but true. The US cannot survive another sixteen years of rabidly partisan divisions.

EDIT: Well, of course it would survive, it usually has, but whether it'd be a place I'd want to be associated with is another story.
Five
Five
960 posts

Re: International buzz about Obama
Jan 09, 2008, 02:59
Glad for yer POV, esp as Big O seems to be doing alright so far

I was into H for her current views on killing the ugly war - I like both of them in every way but side more with Hill on that one - but I'm definitely way into Obama over ANY of the horrid republican candidates

Can't say I want to be associated with it as it is now

Thanks again for your perspective - makes me feel better in a broader, non-issue-specific way

5T
KARL MAX
71 posts

Jan 09, 2008, 11:01
In Sweden media seems to be most focused on Obama. He is presented as the Jesse Jackson with a chance. Though nothing is really written about his politics.
Which I read about in US media instead and I don't really see the diff between Obama and Clinton.
Looking from the outside it's getting harder by the year to really qualify the U.S.A. as a "democrazy". In the end it's a 2 party system which excludes the homeless, pennieless and communists.
Maybe the US should invade themselves and bring their masonic constitutional values into Washington; equality, freedom of religion and freedom of thought...if ya remember what the founding fathers REALLY wrote in the constitution!? There is a danger in thinking anyone other than Bush is better, Sweden reasoned in the same way last year and we got some real a-holes replacing some lesser dumbfxcks.
When I become ruler of the universe I will immediatly abdicate in favour of HH Dalai Lama XIV....So vote for me!
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jan 09, 2008, 11:03
handofdave wrote:
I hear the world is abuzz with the possibility of a president Obama?

Not after NH. It'll change again no doubt.

I liked Chris Rock's recent quote "Yeah, America's ready for a woman president. But, does it have to be that woman?"

I think you'll find that the general consensus over here is still that the next 44th will be neither black nor a woman. If that's wrong, then it'll be nicve to see the world take another step forward. It'll change about as much as the change from Major to Blair, but at least there'll be something to feel good about.

It's John McCain we ought to be watching.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jan 09, 2008, 11:43
anthonyqkiernan wrote:
It's John McCain we ought to be watching.

It's still a bit early to tell who'll end up with the nom on both sides, but my prediction is that it'll be Hillary ("THAT woman"- ha!) and McCain.

I'm getting a big chuckle out of watching android Mitt Romney throw away a fortune of his own money... most Americans don't have so much at issue with his Mormon background as they do with his style-over-substance hollowness. He spent his entire four years as governor of my state pre-campaigning for THIS election.

It's a bit discouraging to know, instinctively, that the extreme polarization that marks left and right in America is too lucrative and too entrenched a business for the nation to actually 'heal the rift', no matter what the people supposedly want.

The machine was able to stick America with eight fucking years of Dubya, incredibly. No doubt the behind-the-scenes powerbrokers already KNOW who will be the next occupant at 1600 Penn. Ave.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Jan 09, 2008, 14:43
Hand of Dave wrote:
The machine was able to stick America with eight fucking years of Dubya, incredibly. No doubt the behind-the-scenes powerbrokers already KNOW who will be the next occupant at 1600 Penn. Ave. I don't Know about that Dave. As i posted earlier, and i could be naive, but the figures for people that actually voted in the U.S. were 40 % of eligble voters.Which implys by simple deduction that he who's name we dare not speak squeaked in with at best 21% of that! We live in a society were getting your kid's back and forth to soccer and making it back just in time for AMERICA's SHITTIEST DANCERS/SINGERS ET/Al.... takes precedence over taking the time to register to vote and actually doing so. Confront most people who did'nt vote and you get the usual fuck-off look. People have got an hour a day to complain about issues, but no time to vote? Maybe i'm wrong, but if more people had voted 8 years ago, i'm convinced a noble prize winner would have manned the helm instead of a stumbling child king. But even so... would a diffrent leader ship have seen our corporate pawnbrokers outsourcing our viable economic future? I like Al gore and the awareness he's preached regarding global warming.Who's gonna make a diffrence with that, it's really the most fundamental issue facing us all. Awareness and Action are 2 different things. Actions are what change things. I'm sure you know that. U-KNOW ! P.S.: are people in Britain and other country's as complacent/reticent to vote as here?
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Jan 09, 2008, 14:53
dodge one wrote:
if more people had voted 8 years ago, i'm convinced a noble prize winner would have manned the helm instead of a stumbling child king. But even so... would a diffrent leader ship have seen our corporate pawnbrokers outsourcing our viable economic future?

Hate to say it, but probably. Remember that the outsourcing party started years before Dubya took office, and all thru the Clinton years.

dodge one wrote:
I like Al gore and the awareness he's preached regarding global warming.Who's gonna make a diffrence with that, it's really the most fundamental issue facing us all. Awareness and Action are 2 different things. Actions are what change things. I'm sure you know that. U-KNOW ! P.S.: are people in Britain and other country's as complacent/reticent to vote as here?

I think Gore feels he can do more good outside of government than inside it, which is why he's stayed away from running for office. I think he's sick and tired for good with the constraints of being an elected official.

I hope the rest of the world takes democracy more seriously!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 09, 2008, 15:20
We live in a society were getting your kid's back and forth to soccer and making it back just in time for AMERICA's SHITTIEST DANCERS/SINGERS ET/Al.... takes precedence over taking the time to register to vote and actually doing so.

True, but is it valid to assume that if everyone voted we'd get better government?
Whisper it softly, as it's a bad thing to say, but universal suffrage doesn;t necessarily mean good government. There's a lot of evidence it enables bullshitters and populists to prosper.

E,g, "Hillary got a bounce in the polls because she blubbed - discuss".
;)

Maybe restricted voting would work better. On the subject of global warming for instance, which is the crucial one, most people are going to vote for an insufficient response whereas a majority of better informed people would maybe vote for an adequate one.

OK, it's very naughty to suggest reducing democracy and it's never going to happen anyway. But not responding to global warming IS going to happen - arguably purely because most current voters will vote to let it.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Jan 09, 2008, 15:38
NigelSWift Wrote:

True, but is it valid to assume that if everyone voted we'd get better government?

E,g, "Hillary got a bounce in the polls because she blubbed - discuss".
;)

I'm certain that i've made no such assumption.But i'm sure i'm right about people not voting causing the noxious political climate/relations we currently {enjoy?} with the rest of the world. Also i hope most people are beyond deciding there vote on an emotional moment on the campaign trial. Though speaking of emotions, if media commentators such the like of BILL Orielly were to suddenly choke to death on his own acrid bile he constantly spews, I myself could shed a tear of joy!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 09, 2008, 15:45
"i hope most people are beyond deciding there vote on an emotional moment on the campaign trial."

Not most, but enough maybe.

Remember Richard Nixon's little doggy, Checkers?
Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index