Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: Palestinian report 29
Apr 18, 2002, 18:40
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 17:32:42

hello my dears

nothing too much reportable at the moment in a proper bulletin (everything's a bit quieter here in bethlehem today, and we don't have enough details of what's going on in tulkarm, except that the idf have gone in again, or news from jenoin or nablus that you won't have already probably seen or heard) so thought i'd just send you all something a little lighter - sort of.

the first is the end of a wonderful conversation about sport and politics with georgina and 2 palestinian security guards at bethlehem university who invited us into their office for coffee while we were tiptoeing through the curfew at lunchtime:

guard, pointing at himself: "i support the pflp" [People's Front for the Liberation of Palestine]
pointing at georgie: "she supports fateh"
and pointing at his friend - " and he supports manchester united."

our next call was at the star hotel, to check up on people, especially locals, who were still there under their new condition of occupation. things are pretty surreal in there. everyone, including the palestinians there, is pretty much carrying on as normal, sitting on the ground floor most of the time, drinking beer or sprite or coffee, smoking and chatting, surrounded by a slew of flak jackets, helmets, cameras and those tv microphones that look like guinea pigs on st icks. in the actual foyer area, though, which isn't separated off from the rest of the floor, there are 4 idf reservists standing, looking bored rigid and not a little narked at just being stuck next to a bunch of people who exude varying degrees of dislike at them and are doing lots of things they can't - like smoking and drinking beer. such a weird atmosphere. there are 2 apcs stationed outside, but things seemed pretty relaxed, except the press are pissed off at not being able to see the nativity church any more. as we were leaving, another apc pulled up, stuffed to the gunnels with rucksacks and kitbags, so i don't know if the soldiers have just all brought lots of makeup with them or if they are planning a pretty long stay . i'm sure the management at the star will be delighted...

indyfada the pseudopedigree palestinian petite pickle puppy is growing by the second and has developed a very capable bark and growl, especially when she is shaking rags to death in true ratter fashion. she's ever, ever so cute, especially when wearing a kuffiyeh. but not when she's chewing your feet with her needle-like little puppy teeth. the star hotel have a puppy too, now, a tiny little thing that got stuck there on the way to her new home. awni seems to be taking a break from his new job with the bbc to play dad to it, prompting lots of jokes from mohamed about being a daddy and how much it looks like him. i'm not sure how much they were appreciated.

take care, all, and see you soon.

s xxx
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index