Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: Palestinian report 16
Apr 09, 2002, 17:49
Mon, 08 Apr 2002 22:50:35

hey all,

ok, lets try this again. i got kicked offline by one of the machistas trying to backtrack on the extraordinary fuckup they just perpetrated on our other laptop, but my first effort was shit anyway.

besides, i've just seen footage from jenin, of a woman and her kid both sitting in hospital with their faces all mashed up, and of idf loudhailers calling out all the men to who knows what fate - often this is the men between about 14 and 45, to cover potential 'terrorists,' but by the look of it they must have called up to 60, since some of them looked so old and frail.

we had our first real curfew lift today; amazing to see how people appeared so quickly in the streets, scurrying around in the sunshine to reach food, their first access in days. although the idf did their thing from last week again and called the lift off about an hour and a half before they'd previously announced, and notified us by starting to shoot randomly. the final clincher was an apc and a jeep stopping an ambulance in the street outside our kitchen window and raking the ground around it with m16 fire, and then at our building also...we've had rather a lot of that ever since the fuckwits at independent media center israel phoned the idf and told them our exact location, and the idf broadcast that on their radio station. there've also been flares and machine gun fire this evening, and ground activity around azza camp, which is worrying.

in the church of the nativity this morning the idf tried to get in by chucking a shell in, which started a fire, and one of the trapped people was killed by a sniper when he tried to put it out. however, the idf soldiers whon tried to enter apparently sustained 4 casualties and lost 3 m16s to the trapped palestinians - those that were armed had laid down their weapons on the way in so apparently this has raised spirits somewhat, despite the fact that they are now without food and there are worries that the idf will go in tonight. this info came from our friendly bethlehem tv cameraman, khaled, who comes to hang out with us in the evenings sometimes. he's a big, bluff bear of a man who usually brings beer with him and who is incredibly brave - or foolish - yesterday when we were being held in the street by soldiers he had his camera right up the arse of an apc, whilst the international press cowered round the ambulance. right now he and da boyz are discussing marx and anarchism in arabic.

there have been lots of arrests here also, including one family who have had all 8 of their sons taken.

for me, the curfew lift was pretty good, especially having the confidence to walk somewhere by myself. i know it's so little compared with what every palestinian here is dealing with, but it's been a bit tough being in this office for over a week now, working, eating and sleeping in 5 rooms with at least 4 other people at any one time, and i'v ehad maybe 7 hours outside of here in all that time, so i'm going a little stir crazy.

'kate' [who was hospitalised with abdominal bullet wounds last week] herself was, i think, released today, and was in pretty good spirits when i saw her yesterday. she had an x-ray which confirms that she actually has 6 pieces of bullet lodged inside her, and they ain't comin' out. it also confirms, i think, that it was a direct hit and not just bounced shrapnel. fucking bastards.

anyway, i guess i've been on here a while. take care, my dears, and see you soon, insh'allah.

love,

sarah
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index