Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: Palestinian report 3
Apr 02, 2002, 17:09
New mail from Sarah in Palestine:

Mon, 01 Apr 2002 18:35:05

well, here's another one. things are pretty fucked here at the moment, and there's been some casualties today - we marched up to the tanks at beit jala and the soldiers responded by shoottign splintering rounds at the ground and wall in our immediate vicinity. 5 internationals were hurt, most of them were allowd out of hospital immediately, including kunle with wounds to the face and elbow. 'kate' is still in hospital and will not be out too quickly; she had shrapnel wounds to the stomach and has been sedated for the night because she's in a lot of pain. she was under general anaesthetic for about 2 hours having it removed and cleaned up; she was holding a banner at the front of the march, kunle was one of the negotiators but they fired when the negotiators had only taken a couple of steps. they then followed us down the road for quite some distance, shooting all the time and then firing at the press corps there.

there are about 60 tanks up at tantur checkpoint and we are kind of assuming that they will come in tonight. we thought they'd be in last night and most of us were staying at refugee camps, which are generally the first places they go into. we had some fairly close shelling and could hear gunfire from the settlement at gilo, and there were tanks ringing the ida refugee camp near rachel's tomb, but no-one actually came in.

things are also terrible in ramallah; total terrifying infringements of human rights including door-to-foor searches and the arrest of most men between 16 and 60, including Palestian Authority policemen labelled 'terrorists' for carrying their legitimate weapons. we also saw the news last night, which included footage of the israelis going into the halls of residence at bir zeit uni and arresting people, including some of the gazan students i met in december. the footage of arafat cornered in the mukata also included one of the officials i remember fetching us extra chairs and bringing us pizza and shashlik for lunch. pretty horrible to realise he will probably me massacred by some fucking fascist israeli soldier in the next day or so.

anyway, the soldiers seem to have something like a carte blanche to shoot at anyone, including internationals, and tonight i'm emailing from and working in the media centre in bethlehem, which is part of the bethlehem tv building, and we all know from voice of palestine what happens to television stations round here...

so, please, please, please, forward this to everyone you can, and if you have any media contacts tell them they can ring (international access) and then:
(0)67435459
(0)55840767
(0)22777558
(0)67270398
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index