Head To Head
Register
U-Know! Forum »
what would you do?

15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

anyone else want to express an opinion??
Jan 08, 2007, 16:20
The more I think about this the worse it seems to me.

This is a quote from the parent's blog (a link is on the page you gave):
"We constantly feel the desire to visit her room (her favorite place with special lights and colorful displays) or have her with us wanting to be in her aura of positive energy. We’re often huddled around her holding her hand, thus sensing a powerful connection with her pure, innocent and angelic spirit." They don't think about her as a normal person with a disability do they. She's their 'pillow angel' with her aura of positive energy. Good grief.

Menstrual cramps - well if she gets them she'll cry and they can dose her up with some aspirin. Aspirin's not quite as bad a medical intervention as removing her uterus and breasts, surely.

They also say she'll be free "of the discomfort associated with large and fully-developed breasts". As an owner of such models I can assure you they really don't give me any trouble even when I lie on them. And besides, I'm sure her parents are generally very careful about how they position their daughter.

Also on the subject:" Large breasts could “sexualize” Ashley towards her caregiver, especially when they are touched while she is being moved or handled, inviting the possibility of abuse."
This is just the lamest excuse ever. Children are sexually abused without having breasts. Half the population don't even have breasts and they aren't risk=free from abuse!
At the moment her caregivers are her parents who presumably are not about to abuse her. So this acknowledges she will be cared by others in the future - people who might have been more than happy to use a few hoists and pieces of equipment to look after a larger person.

Did you know they've also taken out her appendix?!! this is insane, surely. She's not a vegetable. She can communicate pain for god's sake.

And one last thing (after which I really should shut up) - why have we got her name and picture on the internet, while her parents remain anonymous? That really is odd - or at least, it certainly wouldn't be encouraged in Britain.

U-Know! Forum Index