older mums - just say no!

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Cleira
Cleira
269 posts

Re: older mums - just say no!
Oct 27, 2006, 19:38
I don't think you can make a sweeping statement and say all older mums are rubbish. It has to come down to the individaul people involved.

Having said that I don't feel 100% comfortable about giving IVF to really old women (although where the cutoff point should be, I really coudn't say).

I am personally glad I left having my own family until I had dome some travelling, had a bit of a career, done some serious partying and generally had covered the main bases, as it were. I was able to give more freely of myself as a result and am sure I made a bettter mother that way. :-)
The Eternal
924 posts

Oct 27, 2006, 23:45
Jane,
Good point. Glad to have someone else on my side.
I had the snip a year or two ago, and we don't have kids. The pressure to have kids came from a few friends, plus my wife's mum, none of whom could understand why we didn't want to bring up kids in a world whose standards were sinking to gutter level. The main reason seemed to be "but everyone has kids". Not a very convincing argument in our book.
The media is largely to blame, as most people are led to believe that people who chose not to have kids are selfish, and almost freaks. We don't give a toss what the papers have to say. However, we do believe that the media are putting pressure on all relationships to produce children, hence the feverish demand for I.V.F. for the older couples. It's another sad reflection on modern society.
Todays society is easily led, as most people are easily led, and follow each other like sheep. For example, most people have a mobile phone, but we don't, and are looked at with incredulity when we tell people so. We don't need one, just like we didn't need one before they were invented. People follow each other like sheep - we're told everyone has a mobile, so the stupid all go out and increase their phone bills by 100%.
Never mind, cheer up, Jane.
Your moaning old sod,
The Eternal. (:^
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Oct 28, 2006, 10:23
Irrespective of age, I think we shouldn't be giving anyone IVF. Spawning is not a human right.

Cleira wrote:
I am personally glad I left having my own family until I had dome some travelling, had a bit of a career, done some serious partying and generally had covered the main bases

That really depressed me. "My life is over, might as well have some kids..."
Cleira
Cleira
269 posts

Oct 28, 2006, 11:09
No,no,no, you misunderstand!

I have done some stuff I wanted to do so I'm not resentful about missing opportunities. But through having those experiences I have got to know myself and to find what I want in life, where the important bits are. So I can go in the direction I want and take my kids with me. I can make a better job of sharing the bits I'm good at and being relaxed about the other stuff.
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

Oct 28, 2006, 13:00
Good for you Cleira. Me, on the other hand did it all the other way around. Yes! i had my children when i was 21 and 22. Yes! i missed opportunities, too many to mention (christ there's a song there somewhere ;( ). Yes! i'm sorry about that. My lads are fab and i've done a good job, i don't know if i would have acted the same way in bringing them up if i'd had them later though. Please tell me it's not too late to become a teenager again, and tell me that Beloise Some is still touring. xx
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Oct 28, 2006, 13:00
Good job we're all different then
Cleira
Cleira
269 posts

Oct 28, 2006, 13:16
Its never too late to be a teenager.
But second time round its much more fun and there isn't so much sick invloved.
:-D
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

Edited Oct 28, 2006, 13:51
Oct 28, 2006, 13:45
Lol! xxxxxx Bring it on then. ;D x
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Oct 28, 2006, 15:04
The Eternal wrote:

Never mind, cheer up, Jane.

I'm very cheered - my children are both teenagers and largely responsible for themselves now. First one can be 'phased out' to uni next year. Phew.
amazon
amazon
959 posts

Oct 28, 2006, 15:22
Locodogz wrote:

The only thing we're struggling on is names if its a boy !

(sic)

We had exactly the opposite problem, all three times!

We never, ever had (and still don't have) any girls' names.

Girls' names are shit. Simple.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index