Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Cleira
Cleira
269 posts

Re: older mums - just say no!
Nov 02, 2006, 21:16
It really is worth considering.
I put it to my hubby that I had been through the pain of childbirth twice, so a little bit of pain would only be fair enough. Plus the fact that he would instantly get about 5 squillion brownie points, available for exchange at any time (within the the usual time limit of course). And of course there is the promise of as much contraception free sex as you can both handle.

I reckon its the best thing a bloke can do for his woman.

Best of luck!!
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Nov 02, 2006, 21:35
Oh pray, how do you get them to got through with it? My beloved is the least bloke-man you could meet. Honestly, he cries if thinks he's got to change a plug, but he's been a total music anorak since he was 13. Him and his mates even get together to discuss and list 'albums of the year'. He's a total sweetie, loves our child to death, but neither of us want anymore, and right now we're kind of 'in limbo'. I was going to be sterilised, but I'm terrified of the anaesthetic. I know his effort would be almost negligible here, but ever so huge. Advice?
x
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Nov 02, 2006, 21:46
Well as Cleira says, you've done the pregnancy and childbirth thing - a relatively simple proceedure under a mild anaesthetic all planned like is a walk in the park in comparison eh?! Added to which, for you to be sterilised would be a far more complex operation (female reproductive bits being more complicated than blokes' stuff) so it makes sense for him to do it. Also, in the event that either of you changes your mind about wanting more kids, it's much easier to reverse the male operation than the female operation. That said (if this makes sense) there's a higher success rate with the male operation in that the chances of it failing and accidental pregnancy ensuing is something like 2000 to one, whereas wi' the ladies' operation it's 200 to one.

There you go; some bargaining tools for you to be getting on with!
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Nov 03, 2006, 13:03
I agree with the idea that it's much better for a man to get sterilised than a woman. There are very few benefits to having your bits dangling out; this is one. With women the surgery is much more invasive and commonly affects the clitoral nerve. Sterilised *and* no sexual pleasure - what's the point in *that*?

The surgery really isn't anything much, or at least it wasn't for me. And I assure you, I'm very squeamish. I've passed out trying to donate blood before now, just at the pinprick-on-the-finger anaemia test bit!

It's a local anaesthetic, and there is some sensation - you feel things moving in your abdomen; not pain as such, but very not right and uncomfortable. That made me sweat and the nurse held my hand and put a cool wet flannel on my forehead.

Get some serious codeine in in case there is much pain. My mistake was to have a bong, which brought forth evil pain that went as the dope wore off. I was riding me bike the next day and everything!

The bargaining is what's already been said by Cleira; he's seen you through childbirth, you can see him through this. You'll love him for it, and that you'll both be free of that niggling worry of pregnancy from then on.
Cleira
Cleira
269 posts

Nov 03, 2006, 14:10
I would add that its worth doing research as to what you local Dr would actually do, as the procedure varies form health authority to health authority. The cauterising technique didn't sound quite so appealing and possibly less successful (if I remember correctly). We were lucky in that our local nut doctor was an old hand, he was able to offer a huge success rate, we could talk to people who had had the op and he was entirely confidence inspiring. If you don't like what the local doc offers, then you should be able to shop around.

Yeah, the codiene was useful, especially combined with sacred ghee cookies, whisky and laudanum - at least it appeared to offer the necessary sedative/aneasthetic qualities required to get the man through the weekend, lol!
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Nov 03, 2006, 14:46
Nov 03, 2006, 14:46
I've done a wee bit if research, and there is a technique for us women branded under 'Essure'. It's irreversible, and the chances of accidental pregnancy are as of recent tests nil. It's non hormonal, doesn't require any incisions, and is conducted under local anaesthetic (which is actually optional). It does take three months to become totally effective.
It's less invasive than either male or female traditional methods. I phoned the FPA today, and they tell me it's not that widely available, but if you state your case well enough your doctor, should they be of a kindly nature (hmmm in my case), might refer you on somewhere.
Thanks anyway for sharing your thoughts
x
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index