drudion

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Re: terror breeds terror
Sep 08, 2004, 10:16
Well whoever is in control, they're all filth and that bush fella wasn't even democractically elected - America is the biggest dictatorship on the planet. If it had happened in some African republic or an Islamic state, everyone would be screaming blue murder and corruption, but nobody seems in any hurry to call the United Nations to depose bush and his cronies (and yes of course he's a puppet, but a particularly unpleasant and thick one and his string-pullers don't give a shit that we know it, either - what are we gonna do?)

It's all fucked up and we could all throw in the towel and cry 'we're all doomed!' but let's just be thankful we don't live in the states and that we do, for the moment, have some small degree of independence from the states.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Re: drudion
Sep 08, 2004, 10:19
It's true, everyone does always want to blame, rightly or wrongly, it's the way the human condition comes to terms with tragedies like this, our way of making some sort of sense out of all this mess, but it doesn't change anything (couldn't watch news last night, don't ever want to see it, imagining it is bad enough). All those people are still dead, all those who survived will be haunted for the rest of their lives. I think it's nice that people are starting to launch fundraising campaigns and the like to support the survivors - that's about the most positive thinking I can come up with at the moment.
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Sep 08, 2004, 10:25
the sun's campaign to raise money for the kids of beslan still makes me sick though. they're the sort of bastards who propagate the shit that makes this sort of thing inevitable. seems depressingly inevitable that we'll have our own tragedy to deal with not too far down the line and i dread to think what the rabid red top reaction will be then. seems to me that the only way out of this vicious spiral is dialogue - something that putin, bush and all the other macho world leaders are desperate to avoid. they should realise that peace is a vote winner.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 08, 2004, 13:31
Oh, last night at the Bug Jar I tore pictures of Bush from a magazine and stuck 'em in the urinals. Everyone should!
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Sep 08, 2004, 14:12
I don't really agree with JC's assertion that "these are not just acts of terrorism but acts of torture and violation that are not synonymous with the IRA or ETA or Hamas or any of those organisations of minorities with genuine grievances."

Just because usual terrorist tactics are, by and large, mindless, does not make them any less evil IMO. The same goes for the "Allies" indiscriminate bombing of Iraqi cities..... the end result is the same, death, misery and horror....
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

As Michael Franti says
Sep 08, 2004, 15:27
'we can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace'.

ALL BOMBING IS TERRORISM
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

1000 american dead
Sep 08, 2004, 15:42
BUSH MOURNS 1,000 DEAD AMERICANS
With the number of American military deaths in Iraq surpassing 1,000, President George Bush said today “we mourn every loss of life” and declared that the US was making good progress in the war against terrorism.
“We’re still at war,” Bush said during a meeting with congressional leaders in Washington. “We’ve got to do everything we can to protect the homeland.”
The vast majority of American deaths in Iraq - all but 138 - came after Bush’s May 1, 2003, declaration of an end to major combat operations. “Mission Accomplished,” read a banner on an aircraft carrier where the president made the announcement.
Two more US soldiers were killed in Iraq today - both blown up by roadside bombs.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Sep 08, 2004, 16:35
Only if the urinals get shat in on a regular basis! Sorry, this thread has now taken a distinct turn towards the vulgar!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Sep 08, 2004, 16:38
I know. Someone mentioned George Bush.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Sep 08, 2004, 16:43
Peace is too abstract a concept for them to grasp though. Dialogue is beyond them (especially Bush who has trouble stringing a sentance together at the best of times). The wrong people are in charge, simple as that, and I don't even pretend to have even the vaguest idea of what we can do to change that, I mean obviously we don't vote for them but if elections are going to be rigged anyway our votes are worth nothing anyway.

We should be careful, too, if the authorities read this thread and suspect that any of us have ever been to Pakistan we'll probably all be bundled into vans and arrested and held for months on end under dodgy anti-terrorism charges! Not that I'm paranoid or anything...

I have to admit to a horrid inclination to just want to pretend that none of this is happening, to shut myself off from all this horridness and pretend that all is as well with the world as it is here in sunny Sussex. I'm fast approaching the point where I just can't deal with any more of these atrocities and the frustrating, to say the least, responses of the politicians.

Maybe, just MAYBE that John Kerry lad will do well in the upcoming elections and things might just change. Not holding my breath though...
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index