drudion

Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

drudion
Sep 05, 2004, 23:24
just read julian's latest monthly message and all i can say is right on... even the archbish of canterbury questioned his faith for a moment. we really do live in a shitty evil world and i feel desperately anxious for my kids x
Ver quest
4 posts

Re: drudion
Sep 05, 2004, 23:32
atrocities in every decade.
It's a wonder we can manage to smile sometimes.

If only the signal from outside our solar system could bring about change.

I'm fed up too with all the violence and anger constantly at our door. My kids are grown beyond adolescence and they are far more aware of the evil in society than I ever was growing up.

"the West is Best!"
I don't know if humankind can survive anywhere.
ron
ron
706 posts

coming soon to a theatre near u...
Sep 06, 2004, 02:40
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/09/05/wosse705.xml

sorry, but anyone hiding behind the skirts of women
and bedclothes of children is simply a coward...

nothing more... nothing less...

x
Spanner
1 posts

Sep 06, 2004, 06:18
I don't even think the full horror of the events in Beslan have sunk in. I found it really difficult to read about it in the papers, couldn't watch the news and couldn't even listen to the radio reports. Just knowing that kids were being held hostage and subjected to physical and mental torment was too much to bear.

No doubt those captors thought they had a really valid point - fact is nobody will give four fucks for any of them now and they've managed to alienate themselves further still from the international community. Whatever their original grievance, nothing can ever excuse putting innocent people under that sort of fear, and when those innocent people are children it goes so far beyond contempt that the word 'atrocity' just ain't strong enough.

I think Mr Cope is right; these events have changed the world, especially that part of the world, and doubt things can ever be quite the same again. If we can't even guarantee that our kids are going to be safe in school, there really is no hope for us.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

wrong id...
Sep 06, 2004, 06:32
Whoops! Just realised I was sounding off under the wrong user name! Oh well, sure Spanner feels the same way!
Billy Milk
Billy Milk
2045 posts

Sep 06, 2004, 09:09
it's usually the highlight of my week - a raft of sunday papers and a couple of pints. couldn't bear it this week. seem to remember vaguely from when i was 4 or 5 hearing about a bomb being dropped in an israeli playground and that has stayed with me all my life. this is worse.
Locodogz
Locodogz
254 posts

Sep 06, 2004, 11:21
Absolutely right. I also think that JC neatly highlights the vicious circle here - the more governments ignore moral and international law (Israel/Palestine, USA&GB/Iraq, Russia/Chechnia (sic) et al the worse this will become as extremists latch on to "legitimate" causes.
The trouble is who'll stop first - the 'democratic' and 'answerable to the people' governments or those occupied people who being massively outnumbered and outgunned feel that "terrorist actions" are their only course of redressal?
Depressing thought for a Monday.............
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Sep 06, 2004, 12:08
I know, it's anything to do with kids, and it's bad enough but it hits you all the harder when you've got your own offspring. Thankfully my little one is too young to understand at two and a half, but you can't help but fear for them and I was paranoid enough about her growing up in today's world as it was.

The Twin Towers episode occurred shortly after I discovered I was pregnant with her and I remember thinking I shouldn't be bringing a child into such a horrible world.

Thing is we have to invest our hopes for the future in the next generation because our generation and the one above seems to be making a right royal fuck up of things!
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Sep 06, 2004, 14:13
Atrocities similar to this have happened before, I guess. The difference is we were there this time, in a way, thanks to TV. Question is, how does the world, for we were ALL there, respond?
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Sep 06, 2004, 14:26
"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Hermann Goering, Nurenburg
Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index