U-Know! Forum »
UK ID card Bill 'within four weeks'

55 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
cammyb
62 posts

Re: UK ID card Bill 'within four weeks'
May 04, 2004, 15:31
When working abroad I've always found it interesting to note that in certain countries the populace have wholehearedly embraced the concept and useage of ID Cards.
From a KM point of view, I think they could be incredibly useful - but the theory of how to manage vast (and personal) swathes of knowledge is a troubled one. I'd like to think that knowledge could be used as a power for the greater good but, as ever, the inherent issues (for me) are in the execution.
As for the cost issue, I firmly believe that it could be achieved for a fraction of the quoted sums but have utterly no doubt that the Government will think of a figure which will, ultimately, prove to be a shadow of the final cost.
The approaches should be made to various AI & change management institutions/bodies rather than big business but that's not going to happen.
As for what information is stored that is subject which we all should a full voice in - however, given this government's history I believe that it'll be something half-baked that comes through. The reality is that the debate should be publicly debated with information freely available to all and sundry.
My experience is that most people I know (and I'd approximate it to be around 80-90%) are in, broadly, in favour of ID Cards but with a variety of caveats. And I apologise for my earlier language.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index