Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

UK ID card Bill 'within four weeks'
Apr 07, 2004, 22:22
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3607115.stm

Proposals for ID cards should be published within a month, David Blunkett has told BBC Radio 5 Live...

Last week Tony Blair said at his monthly news conference that identity cards would be introduced "more quickly than even we anticipated".

He said that the government had won over those who opposed the controversial measure for civil liberties reasons.

[really? I hadn't noticed that he'd won me over already. Still, that's why he's prime minister and I'm just a thicko]
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Re: UK ID card Bill 'within four weeks'
Apr 07, 2004, 22:40
Only "Terrorists" won't want one eh?
Pete someoneorother
lordsitar
257 posts

Apr 07, 2004, 22:41
well well well. i wouldnt be suprised if shotly before it goes before parliament there was some terrorist scare or other . im not having one .ill go to live in iran first where you have more freedom this cuntry is just doomed
BlueAstronaut
27 posts

Apr 08, 2004, 06:21
Don't worry about it. The population will snooze through this one and snore away, sound asleep when the implant ID issue comes up. Which will be soon. ID cards are childs play. The fancy shit they've got in store for us will make them seem like raffle tickets...
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Apr 08, 2004, 09:35
Well you know, terrorists are so stupid, they won't be able to fake ID cards, will they.
How can such things possibly be justified when everyone in this country has a driving license or a bank account or a Somerfield shop n save card? Do you sometimes wonder whether you are living in a parallel universe where bizarre remarks about winning round nutcases who care about civil liberties go unchallenged in the media?
Next we'll be having to sew badges on our coats. And while we're at it, why doesn't everyone get a compulsory tatoo at birth.
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Apr 08, 2004, 12:00
I think by "those who opposed the controversial measure" they meant "those (within the parliamentary labour party) who opposed the controversial measure". When you've got a majority that size, the opinions of the rest of the polulation maybe don't count for much.
Mr Altres
Mr Altres
140 posts

Fron the US
Apr 16, 2004, 13:43
NATIONAL ID NUMBER"
Below is an detailed example of how the new "NATIONAL ID NUMBER"
system is quite likely to work, when congress gets it passed into law. "It will happen!"

A CUSTOMER ORDERING PIZZA in 2006 By Phone......

Operator: "Thank you for calling Pizza Central. May I have your..."

Customer: "Hi, this is Mike Kilgore, I'd like to order....."

Operator: "May I have your NIDN first, sir?"

Customer: "My National ID Number, yeah, hold on, ah, it's 6102049998-666-5461029874."

Operator: "Thank you, Mr. Kilgore. Please hold the speaker portion of the phone up to
your forehead so I can verify the number....I'm sorry sir, the number isn't verified. Use the
chip placed in the back of your hand? Try holding the phone there."

Thank you sir, the number has been verified. I see you live at 1742 Meadowland Drive,
and the phone number's 494-2366. Your office number over at Preferred Insurance is
745-2302 and your cell number's 266-2566. Which number are you calling from, sir?"

Customer: "Huh? I'm at home. Where d'ya get all this information?"

Operator: " You are wired into the system, sir."

Customer: (Sighs) "Oh, well, I'd like to order a couple of your All-Meat Special pizzas..."

Operator: "I don't think that's a good idea, sir."

Customer: "Whaddya mean?"

Operator: "Sir, your medical records indicate that you've got very high blood pressure
and extremely high cholesterol. Your National Health Care provider won't allow such
an unhealthy choice."

Customer: "Damn..... What do you recommend, then?"

Operator: "You might try our low-fat Soybean Yogurt Pizza. I'm sure you'll like it"

Customer: "What makes you think I'd like something like that?"

Operator: "Well, you checked out 'Gourmet Soybean Recipes' from your local library
last week, sir. That's why I made the suggestion."

Customer: "All right, all right. Give me two family-sized ones, then. What's the damage?"

Operator: "That should be plenty for you, your wife and your four kids, sir. The 'damage,'
as you put it, heh, heh, comes $49.99."

Customer: "Lemme give you my credit card number."

Operator: "I'm sorry sir, but I'm afraid you'll have to pay in cash. Your credit card balance
is currently over its limit....that happened yesterday when you ordered a Gucci bag for your
girlfriend who lives in St' Louis ."

Customer: "I'll run over to the ATM and get some cash before your driver gets here."

Operator: "That won't work either, sir. Your checking account's overdrawn."

Customer: "Never mind. Just send the pizzas. I'll have the cash ready. How long will it take?"

Operator: "We're running a little behind, sir. It'll be about 45 minutes, sir.
If you're in a hurry you might want to pick 'em up while you're out getting the cash,
but carrying pizzas on a motorcycle can be a little awkward."

Customer: "How the hell do you know I'm riding a bike?"

Operator: "It says here you're in arrears on your car payments, so your car got repo'ed.
But your Harley's paid up, so I just assumed that you'd be using it."

Customer: "@#%/$@&?#!"

Operator: "I'd advise watching your language, sir. You've already got a July of 2005
conviction for cussing out a police officer."

Customer: (Speechless)

Operator: "Will there be anything else, sir?"

Customer: "No, nothing. oh, yeah, don't forget the two free liters of Coke your ad says
I get with the pizzas."

Operator: "I'm sorry sir, but our ad's exclusionary clause prevents us from offering
free soda to diabetics." Your pizzas should be ready to pick up in about 35 minutes.
Thank you for calling Pizza Central."
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Apr 16, 2004, 14:04
Does anybody know what the proposed penalties will be if you refuse to comply or if you are stopped without a card?
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Apr 16, 2004, 14:18
They'll send you back to bongo-bongoland wher you belong. Remember, if you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear from them
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Apr 16, 2004, 15:18
Hurray! Those points are exactly what I was thinking in a nutshell. Especially the issue of forgeries. I mean for God's sake, everyone knows that people are getting in and out of the country all the time on fake passports. You can't tell me the ID card system will be more forgery-proof.
And really, how is it supposed to deter terrorists?
For example, Richard Reid was a British citizen who would legitimately have held one of these cards.
The ID card scheme really worked in Madrid, didn't it?
It's bullshit.
And expensive, totalitarian bullshit at that!
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index