Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: uffington horse and the sun
Aug 18, 2017, 13:49
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
But tjj said she was travelling in July. The setting sun would have been in (broadly ;)) the NW.

Exactly , and it was not from the perspective of the orientation of the horse .
You can watch the midwinter sun set over ,( pick) a famous standing stone , or hill top etc , as long as you are free to choose the observing point .That is not the case here ,we are constrained by the orientation of the horse which is not looking towards any sunset at any time ,it is actually avoiding them . That is the one aspect of this nonsense that is funny .

lol. I dread to think what Aubrey would say about it.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Aug 18, 2017, 14:01
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
But tjj said she was travelling in July. The setting sun would have been in (broadly ;)) the NW.

Exactly , and it was not from the perspective of the orientation of the horse .
You can watch the midwinter sun set over ,( pick) a famous standing stone , or hill top etc , as long as you are free to choose the observing point .That is not the case here ,we are constrained by the orientation of the horse which is not looking towards any sunset at any time ,it is actually avoiding them . That is the one aspect of this nonsense that is funny .

lol. I dread to think what Aubrey would say about it.

Not A Burl , but another AB .
"Surely it's not my fault that they fall into certain lines and angles "
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 18, 2017, 14:05
God I love this stuff. Is this picture any use to you (top left)? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=horse+from+dragon+hill&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjG1-fH5-DVAhVkBsAKHWiGDzwQ_AUICigB&biw=895&bih=401#imgrc=YK53YKzJ_MBGxM:
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Aug 18, 2017, 14:14
There's a huge difference between "pointing at" the sunset (which the horse clearly doesn't) and facing or looking into the sunset.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Edited Aug 18, 2017, 14:27
Aug 18, 2017, 14:27
thesweetcheat wrote:
There's a huge difference between "pointing at" the sunset (which the horse clearly doesn't) and facing or looking into the sunset.

I thought he was 'galloping' towards the sunset?

Does he gallop toward something whilst looking in a different direction??

It wouldn't surprise me with that bonce of his.

Maybe if you view from a certain position he is 'looking into' the ice-cream van at the car park down the hill.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Aug 18, 2017, 14:29
thesweetcheat wrote:

From the paper “gives the impression of the figure following a broadly east–west route. “ Does not following equate with pointing ?
Similarly " the horse appears to be galloping along the ridge in a westerly direction, toward the sunset."
Is "galloping along " any different to pointing ?
We know and you accept that it is not facing west (in fact it's not facing any sunset) ,all that is left is the mistaken "impression " and "appears " .
From the horse , given clear skies , you can face every sun set and sun rise on every day of the year , so what ? it is meaningless .
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Aug 18, 2017, 14:37
nigelswift wrote:

We know the orientation of the horse ,and it is not to the west , as it "appears" to the author . But every pic tells a story and that one shows the road below horse just at it turns sharply to the west , enough to show the change in angle (about 70 degrees ) between the orientation of the horse and the road .It also shows that the top of the ridge or at least what can be seen from Dragon Hill is relatively flat and there is no "high rise in the immediate topography ", following the rise of the sun in it's putative "roll" .
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 18, 2017, 15:11
Yes, but if you stand so that the horse appears to be on top of Dragon Hill the sun will come almost out of his mouth and roll down the hill.

[Don't ask me what happens at dawn. You'll have to read my book, the Solar Enema ;)]
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Aug 18, 2017, 15:56
nigelswift wrote:
Yes, but if you stand so that the horse appears to be on top of Dragon Hill the sun will come almost out of his mouth and roll down the hill.

[Don't ask me what happens at dawn. You'll have to read my book, the Solar Enema ;)]

Lol.
You are clearly a very sensible, practical , down to earth chap who can think out of the box .

A few "anonymous" reviews might help sales .
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Aug 18, 2017, 15:59
It might be worth mentioning the problems associated with the Left -Right binary oppositions happily used by the Scandinavian and some UK proponents of the Sun Horse theory .
The main one is that allows everything that might be said to have an orientation and having a prow / head etc to become part of the theory regardless of what direction it might be facing , or taking into account the all important contextual factors like slope of rocks /hills , contours and natural features like cracks and fissures that are likely to influence the orientation of figures . Another is that it allows any figure that would otherwise be considered to be facing in the “wrong “direction to become acceptable . e.g. when an observer is looking from the north towards a ship with a prow to the right , it might be assumed to be a “ Day“ship , just like the Trundholm chariot taking the sun from West to East , but that only works when looking at the ship from the North .When a ship with a prow to the right but looked at from the south it would then be a “Night “ ship taking the sun through the underworld in West -East direction . This is fine for observers looking at features that are facing East or West but the problems start when the figures are a long way from facing East or West as is the case with the Uffington horse .
All directions become compartmentalised into a very simplified convenient Left or Right binary choice providing more fuel for the theory , when the reality is that many ,including Uffington ,clearly don't belong .
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index