Uffington White Horse »
uffington horse and the sun

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: uffington horse and the sun
Aug 18, 2017, 16:23
"You are clearly a very sensible, practical , down to earth chap who can think out of the box"

Not your usual reaction to bollocks!
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Aug 18, 2017, 16:23
tiompan wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Yes, but if you stand so that the horse appears to be on top of Dragon Hill the sun will come almost out of his mouth and roll down the hill.

[Don't ask me what happens at dawn. You'll have to read my book, the Solar Enema ;)]

Lol.
You are clearly a very sensible, practical , down to earth chap who can think out of the box .

A few "anonymous" reviews might help sales .

lol
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 18, 2017, 16:25
tiompan wrote:

One, from someone called Shropshire Lass, said
"It changed my life. Well worth the £40."
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Aug 18, 2017, 16:33
nigelswift wrote:
tiompan wrote:

George, *that* trip advisor one...
absolutely classic. I laughed, in gaps between the cringing, for a very long time.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6214 posts

Aug 18, 2017, 16:34
tiompan wrote:
From the horse , given clear skies , you can face every sun set and sun rise on every day of the year , so what ? it is meaningless .

But why are you assuming the intention is to be looking "from the horse".

The view of the horse is far better appreciated from a distance, from the vale below. I don't think it matters what you can see from the horse. What matters is what you can see when viewing the horse from its optimum position (i.e. from a distance). And from a distance, the head of the horse is on the right, as will the setting sun be from the point of a viewer looking towards the horse from the vale.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Edited Aug 18, 2017, 16:38
Aug 18, 2017, 16:37
thesweetcheat wrote:
tiompan wrote:
From the horse , given clear skies , you can face every sun set and sun rise on every day of the year , so what ? it is meaningless .

The view of the horse is far better appreciated from a distance, from the vale below. I don't think it matters what you can see from the horse. What matters is what you can see when viewing the horse from its optimum position (i.e. from a distance). And from a distance, the head of the horse is on the right, as will the setting sun be from the point of a viewer looking towards the horse from the vale.

Well, then every menhir is aligned perfectly to the setting sun.
Just stand in the right place and bingo.

How do you know 'what matters' in terms of where to stand, to see this or that?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Aug 18, 2017, 16:53
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
tiompan wrote:

Well, then every menhir is aligned perfectly to the setting sun.
Just stand in the right place and bingo.

How do you know 'what matters' in terms of where to stand, to see this or that?

Exactly . What matters is some form of indication i.e. a third component like another stone ,or stones , an avenue , a passage etc. Similarly any old pair of stones in a stone circle will also provide apparently "meaningful" "alignments " to astro events but unless there is something that gives them greater salience than the others you will have a huge choice and nothing that is convincing . A bigger stone and an outlier would fit the bill as suggesting that there might be something being indicated .
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Aug 18, 2017, 16:55
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
tiompan wrote:

George, *that* trip advisor one...
absolutely classic. I laughed, in gaps between the cringing, for a very long time.

There are some wonderful ones here too .
nigelswift
8112 posts

Aug 18, 2017, 16:58
There's certainly no clue as to whether "the view from" or "the view to" is meant. All we have is whether either of them seems to work (in any one of a thousand ways).

One interesting "view from" involves Sandy Gerrard's work on some stone rows which display sudden "landscape treats" as you walk along them with an accuracy and suddenness that even I find it hard to put down to possible chance. Compared with those, saying a big horse on a hill has some sort of positional significance is very hard work.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Aug 18, 2017, 17:14
thesweetcheat wrote:
tiompan wrote:

Because the number of other choices are immense and there is nothing to suggest why a particular place was chosen ,other than it fits some agenda .Given the huge number of choices any number of agenda can be shown to be "correct" .
Further , the paper talks about the direction the horse "appears" to be moving /galloping , well we know the answer to that and it is not towards any sunset .

The setting sun is no more salient than the rising sun ,it was only mentioned as it is the closer of the two possibilities ,but as noted in the problems about compartmentalising every feature that has a direction , left or right only works in the real world when the feature is close to east or west , in this case it is actually a very long way from pointing to the sunset .The "right" that the horse is facing in is quite different from the "right " where you will see the sunset . By allowing everything to have a left or right regardless of their actual orientation means everything with a direction and a front will fit into your schema including contemporary hill figures .
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index