Topic View: Flat | Threaded
megalith6
46 posts

Re: The Bosham Stone
Mar 13, 2013, 01:25
harestonesdown wrote:
Have EH been informed of this. ?

I wrote a couple of emails, and had replies as follow:-

Thank you for your email of 15th February.
I have forwarded the details to our South West office for their information.

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact us. Should you have any questions, please contact our Customer Services Department on [email protected] or 0870 333 1181.

Yours sincerely

Customer Services
18 Feb

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will discuss the matter with my colleague in English Heritage.

The West Kennet Avenue is a scheduled monument and as such is protected by law. As you probably know there are however a number of naturally occurring sarsens in the World Heritage Site which are not protected in same way.

Once again thank you very much for your email and your interest in the protection of the World Heritage Site.

Kind Regards,

Avebury World Heritage Site Officer

Landscape and Design

Economy & Regeneration

Wiltshire Council

I replied to the last mail suggesting that the majority of megalithic Avebury was probably derived from naturally occurring sarsens in the World Heritage Site, so I couldn't really see how some stones were given protection and others less so? But I received no further emails from either EH or Wiltshire Council.

Where West Kennet meets the road to Marlborough the A4 is strewn with some quite large sarsens, rising up to Overton Hill and the Sanctuary. I don't know if any of these stones are survivors of the megalithic avenue, some of them certainly look as if they might be. I am unaware if any surveys have been carried out to try and determine if any of these supine stones are in fact part of the Avebury complex. If they are, then they are lying unprotected in ditches and beneath hedges. For all I know some of these stones may have actually disappeared since I last passed that way - if so - perhaps one of them might actually turn out to be the Bosham Stone?

http://www.avebury-web.co.uk/wk_avenue/IMAG014.JPG

http://www.avebury-web.co.uk/wk_avenue.html
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index