The Bosham Stone

Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

The Bosham Stone
Feb 16, 2013, 12:38
Well, if you can get past the whirling vortices of energy, and the special Healing Seat, the strange story of one sarsen’s journey from West Kennet to Bosham here may be of interest.

Photograph of the ‘Bosham Stone’ in its new location here.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: The Bosham Stone
Feb 16, 2013, 12:49
Littlestone wrote:
Well, if you can get past the whirling vortices of energy, and the special Healing Seat, the strange story of one sarsen’s journey from West Kennet to Bosham here may be of interest.

That looks every bit an Avenue stone doesn't it...and a female one to boot! From the Sanctuary end possibly?
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Re: O/T slightly
Feb 16, 2013, 13:10
Sanctuary wrote:
Littlestone wrote:

That looks every bit an Avenue stone doesn't it...and a female one to boot! From the Sanctuary end possibly?

I don't go with this whole male/female thing, as far as my memory recalls there's only one pair that could be said to live up to the title in the WKA, and none elsewhere in the Avebury complex that are convincing.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: O/T slightly
Feb 16, 2013, 13:41
harestonesdown wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Littlestone wrote:

I don't go with this whole male/female thing, as far as my memory recalls there's only one pair that could be said to live up to the title in the WKA, and none elsewhere in the Avebury complex that are convincing.

I didn't say it was part of a pair Geoff just that it looked like what many class as a representative of the female form. But, there are two pairs in the WKA and lots of other 'female' types around the complex. Whether they are paired or not is another thing because many are missing.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 16, 2013, 14:22
Littlestone wrote:

I got in touch with them about this a while ago and amy have mentioned it on the Avebury forum . There was no sign of contrition or even an appreciation that moving what may have been a part of a prehistoric monument elsewhere for purely selfish reasons under the guise of new age bollocks might not have been a good idea .
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Feb 16, 2013, 14:30
"if you can get past" - how can you get past it when that's all there is? Even Jesus gets mentioned. I haven't read anything so thoroughly loopy for ages. They don't even know the first thing about the stone "A true granite Sarson stone."
Granite indeed. And bring on the vinegar puns. Btw there's no way I'm going to apologise for the acerbity of my remarks.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Feb 16, 2013, 14:52
tiompan wrote:
Littlestone wrote:

I got in touch with them about this a while ago and amy have mentioned it on the Avebury forum . There was no sign of contrition or even an appreciation that moving what may have been a part of a prehistoric monument elsewhere for purely selfish reasons under the guise of new age bollocks might not have been a good idea .

Well I won't become libellous on an open forum, I didn't even believe the story to be true at first but there is a certain arrogance and completely nonsensical act of foolishness here;) Stones are moved of course through the ages but I think they should admit the exact location in Avebury from where it came, if only for the record....
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 16, 2013, 15:04
moss wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Littlestone wrote:

Well I won't become libellous on an open forum, I didn't even believe the story to be true at first but there is a certain arrogance and completely nonsensical act of foolishness here;) Stones are moved of course through the ages but I think they should admit the exact location in Avebury from where it came, if only for the record....

In this day and age I suppose it could still be scientifically tested to show where it came from prior to 'coming home'! Presumably there would still be traces/staining of the soil from the Avebury area if that's where it came from.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 16, 2013, 16:36
tiompan wrote:

Good on you for getting in touch with them.

It does rather highlight the point, made elsewhere, that the smaller, recumbent and/or buried stones in the Avebury area are indeed at risk of being ‘removed’ and transported elsewhere.

There’s the armrest of a bench showing in the photograph above which gives some idea of the size of the stone. It’s not impossible, but hard to believe, that it (the stone) could have been manhandled into a truck without the aid of some kind of machinery (or a block and tackle at least).
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Feb 16, 2013, 21:12
well this is a first
Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index