Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: The Bosham Stone
Feb 23, 2013, 13:57
VBB wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
VBB wrote:

We have been through all this on here at least once:

Must have missed the pervious thread(s) on this – do you have links to them Mr B?

Couldn't find it, for pc probs I would search again... sorry!

Have checked with 2 others, both recalled the upset but not when.

Possibly the ‘upset’ was elsewhere and not on TMA – at least I can’t find mention of it in any of the 218 topics on TMA’s Avebury Forum (though I may have missed it, or it may have been posted on another TMA thread). Hardly seems like ‘an old chestnut’ though (as far as TMA contributors are concerned) as the story, or at least the details, seem to have been unknown to more than just a few here.

Some interesting stuff in those early threads. These abstracts from Richard Hayward’s Avebury WHS: Poor state of preservation thread of 2001 (slightly edited for typos) may be of interest -

VBB wrote:
I would like to bring to everyone's attention the following which I have just read in the latest journal of the Wiltshire Archaeology and Natural History Society (Wiltshire Heritage).

At Avebury there has recently been completed an Archaeology Field Monument Condition and Management Survey within the Avebury World Heritage Site.

The aim was: "to review the physical condition and vulnerability of all 289 recorded monuments within the WHS and to identify a framework of appropriate management options. A two-stage approach was adopted. This comprised a desk study review of existing documents followed by a rapid field assessment of all identified monuments."

The survey produced some interesting if rather depressing figures. It suggested that only 16% of the monuments within the WHS were well preserved, and that 40% no longer survived as above ground earthworks. It was noted that the majority (67%) of the monuments were displaying some evidence of deterioration or continued vulnerability to either land use or visitor pressure. The survey examined the various types of damage which were affecting the monuments. This suggested that 51% were being actively plough damaged, 7% were being damaged by burrowing animals, 12% by vegetation or tree damage and only 5% by visitor erosion. Eleven new sites were Identified." *(Copyright WANHS) The report has been deposited with English Heritage.

I wonder what English Heritage will do to prevent further damage to the World Heritage Site at Avebury? It seams to me that over the last few years very little has been done to prevent any further damage.

Perhaps now is the time to ban all ploughing and other agricultural activity which has resulted in 51% of monuments being damaged?

“It was noted that the majority (67%) of the monuments were displaying some evidence of deterioration or continued vulnerability to either land use or visitor pressure. The survey examined the various types of damage which were affecting the monuments. This suggested that 51% were being actively plough damaged, 7% were being damaged by burrowing animals, 12% by vegetation or tree damage and only 5% by visitor erosion.” !!!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index