61 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Re: The Bosham Stone
Feb 18, 2013, 19:47
tjj wrote:
Fairly certain someone could sell a sarsen from their own land with a certain amount of impunity. The point of the original post was that the stone in question bears a marked similarity to the West Kennet Avenue stones and therefore may be a lost part that ancient monument.

Yes, that's the crux of it I guess. The stones that make up the monuments at Avebury and WKA were selected for whatever reason, but there must have been (still are) lots of similarly shaped stones that weren't selected or used in anything.

If the stone was "just" a sarsen, there may be no issue with any of this, other than the obviously loopy reasoning behind fetching it in the first place (especially as they were directed to find a piece of granite by the superpowerful spirit and have singularly failed to do so).

I'm feeling a bit prejudiced about this particular incident because of the utter nonsense (in my opinion, obviously) behind the moving of this particular stone, so on a slightly less New Age Bollocks front, what would be the deal, restrictions-wise, if you wanted to use a piece of sarsen as a gatepost or something? In an ideal world, you would probably have to get the County archaeologist or someone out to assess your stone before you think about moving it, but I don't suppose that's likely to happen.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index