tiompan
5758 posts

Re: The Bosham Stone [slightly o/t]
Feb 19, 2013, 19:58
tiompan wrote:
megalith6 wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
megalith6 wrote:

With regard to the possible symbolic pairing of the avenue stones - Aubrey Burl, ‘Prehistoric Avebury’ (2002) page 76: Alexander Keiller and Stuart Piggott had noted that “along the rows of the [West Kennet] avenue ... the ... long thin pillar and a broader diamond [shape perhaps] ... denoting male and female symbols ... a fertility cult ... one of the first objective interpretations of what Avebury might have been used for”.

Not having read it i wasn't aware of that, not that it gives the theory any more validity in my mind using the current standing stones of the WKA. All the more reason to find and re-erect the missing ones then. :)

Yes indeed, there was a dreadful missed opportunity a few years ago when a team undertook a dig for the missing avenue in the middle of a field behind West Kennet Farm. Why on earth did they not start their dig from where the current avenue ends with a 90% certainty of finding socket holes or even buried megaliths? The dig was almost predictably inconclusive the last I heard.

Ric

The 2002 excavation team was unlikely to get permission to dig at the where the current avenue ends ,particularly after having had a major excavation at Beckhampton and as Peter Ucko had earlier geofizzed that area resulting in adding another 120 m to it's length . The site chosen for the dig was where the Ucko survey was most inconclusive and also where there was the possibility of confirming the site of buried sarsen reported by Crawford .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index