Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: Neanderthals v Humans
Nov 08, 2012, 17:55
Sanctuary wrote:
tjj wrote:
Welcome back Roy, glad to see you here again.

A week or so ago I picked up a library book 'Fairweather Eden' (see link for a review). I'm not a fast reader so still only half way through. Its basically a very readable account of the excavations at Boxgrove which proves hominids were here half a million years ago. It talks about changing sea/land levels with helpful illustrations. A very interesting account (authors Michael Pitts and Mark Roberts) and providing these excavations which took place in the 1980s haven't been discredited - as seems to happen in the world of archaeology, I'm enjoying the read.

PS: The reviewer does say the title is a tad fanciful so that is a given.

Thanks June, good to be back.

I enjoyed the Review and enjoy MP's books in general as he 'comes out' now and again and says what he feels and doesn't just tow the party line! I thought this line in the Review summed it up rather well:-
'Reading and reviewing this book was, therefore, a rather curious experience for me, for it reminded me of much I had forgotten, but also showed how much research has moved on and how quickly ideas can change in this particular field'.

It made me reflect on the things we were told by the 'experts' in our early days and were not encouraged to use our own brains as they were the only ones that understood these things. Many, if not most, were forced to change tack as new findings and science moved on and those former beliefs swept aside and replaced often by the beliefs that us lesser mortals had but of course couldn't prove but thought they were more likely. That's life I suppose.

The voice of reason is back, hooray.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index