Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Developments at Avebury
Feb 14, 2011, 21:02
Littlestone wrote:
Couple of other ‘developments’ that might improve the Avebury WHS.

1) Tarmacking the main NT car park which, at 5 quid a bash, is definitely warranted (though there may be legitimate objections from the archeo community to doing that). Tarmacking would certainly allow better wheelchair access from there to the High Street though.

Alternatively, 2) allowing disabled parking at either the Avebury & District Clubhouse car park, or the small NT car park in front of the Hengeshop.

Tarmacking the NT car park would certainly be an improvement that's for sure.

The Avebury & District Clubhouse LS, that's the cricket pitch area isn't it. I would have thought a nice small unobtrusive teashop on the perimeter of it adjoining the path from the NT car park to the henge would be a nice place to have one. You then get a chance to have a cuppa just after arrival or on the way back before returning home. It could be designed similar to a cricket pavillion and supported by 'spot' foundations so that the archaeology disturbance was kept to a minimum. In fact it could almost be the cricket pavillion if it was rebuilt in a new position and doubled as a tearoom.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Feb 14, 2011, 21:31
Feb 14, 2011, 21:29
The Avebury & District Clubhouse LS, that's the cricket pitch area isn't it.

Yes, the clubhouse is on your left as you enter Avebury from Beckhampton. The car park there is generally empty during the day. At the back is a large playing field which is also hardly ever used. Both, imho, need rethinking as a facility for the wider national and international community to enjoy. Certainly, if nothing else, both areas could be made available for the increase in visitors during solstice time.
jackyboy
145 posts

Feb 14, 2011, 21:42
Littlestone wrote:
The Avebury & District Clubhouse LS, that's the cricket pitch area isn't it.

Yes, the clubhouse is on your left as you enter Avebury from Beckhampton. The car park there is generally empty during the day. At the back is a large playing field which is also hardly ever used. Both, imho, need rethinking as a facility for the wider national and international community to enjoy. Certainly, if nothing else, both areas could be made available for the increase in visitors during solstice time.

http://www.avebury-club.co.uk/history_of_the_club.htm
jackyboy
145 posts

Feb 14, 2011, 22:16
Hang on. Are you saying they will shut the public toilets? but that's plain daft it is. Where will people go?
megadread
1202 posts

Feb 14, 2011, 22:23
jackyboy wrote:
Hang on. Are you saying they will shut the public toilets? but that's plain daft it is. Where will people go?

Only person i've heard say the bogs will close is the bloke on the video, and considering his other claims i'd take it with a pinch of salt. ; )
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Feb 14, 2011, 22:26
jackyboy wrote:

I know a few stones they could go behind :D
jackyboy
145 posts

Feb 14, 2011, 22:32
And they will.
jackyboy
145 posts

Feb 14, 2011, 22:35
megadread wrote:
jackyboy wrote:

Only person i've heard say the bogs will close is the bloke on the video, and considering his other claims i'd take it with a pinch of salt. ; )

Jesus, that would be so stupid, but your right I reckon, he doesn't seem to to be well informed.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Feb 14, 2011, 23:31
Feb 14, 2011, 23:09
megadread wrote:
jackyboy wrote:

Or a pinch of snuff!
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Feb 15, 2011, 00:08
Interesting stuff, LS!

What I might do is ignore the majority of it and obsess about the toilets of that's ok? ;)

G x
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index