Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 115 16 17 18 19 20 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Developments at Avebury
Feb 19, 2011, 11:13
goffik wrote:
Hmm... I've looked and looked but can't find a Toilet Preservation Society... Maybe one of you obsessives could set up a Facebook campaign? :D

G x

I've sorted the toilet problem out now. The NT have their new cafe and the bogs get moved to the WKLB. The chambers on the left are for the ladies, those on the right for the gents and the main chamber the washroom. And no problem to overcome with regard to the facade either. Simples!

Right, any good plumbers in the area or do we stick with leather buckets?
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Feb 19, 2011, 20:57
Feb 19, 2011, 20:56
A signpost at the bottom of Green Street indicating that the Herepath leads up to the Ridgeway?
jackyboy
145 posts

Feb 19, 2011, 21:17
Littlestone wrote:
A signpost at the bottom of Green Street indicating that the Herepath leads up to the Ridgeway?

I think thats right by the maps I have seen. There is another Herepath to Swindon so should the Swindon Stone be called the Herepath Stone?
jackyboy
145 posts

Feb 19, 2011, 21:27
jackyboy wrote:
Littlestone wrote:

I think thats right by the maps I have seen. There is another Herepath to Swindon so should the Swindon Stone be called the Herepath Stone?

There you go. http://www.avebury-web.co.uk/avebury_map.html
jackyboy
145 posts

Feb 19, 2011, 22:22
jackyboy wrote:
jackyboy wrote:
Littlestone wrote:

There you go. http://www.avebury-web.co.uk/avebury_map.html

Had to look this up, but I thought I was right. Avebury became a burh which had Herepaths to the east. Green st and on to the Ridgeway and another from the north entrance going towards Swindon.
tomwatts
376 posts

Feb 20, 2011, 15:25
Here's how to tackle a Scheduled Ancient Monument........

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/grand-designs/4od#2921797

Brilliant
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 20, 2011, 17:33
tomwatts wrote:
Here's how to tackle a Scheduled Ancient Monument........

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/grand-designs/4od#2921797

Brilliant

Alternatively - http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-cetera/build-it-yourself-ikea-stonehenge-20110219/ (thanks to oci for that :-)
nix
nix
201 posts

Re: The worst kind
Feb 21, 2011, 16:10
Gosh
Well the first house to be sold has been bought by two close friends of ours - a primary teacher and a writer, both long term Avebury lovers.

Be nice to the, if you meet them - whatever you think of the development - I am sure they never realised what a hornets nest they were getting into.

As for me I thought the garage awful and given a few seasons I am sure the newness of these houses will mellow.

[/quote]
Lets just hope the people who do buy those properties (and again its worth remembering they are only five in number) care about Avebury and work towards strengthening the exisiting community.

Having said the above, I do agree in retrospect it was a lost opportunity on behalf of the National Trust to enhance the amenities at Avebury.[/quote]
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 21, 2011, 17:04
Well the first house to be sold has been bought by two close friends... both long term Avebury lovers.

Thanks, I collect oxymorons ;-)
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Feb 21, 2011, 17:44
Feb 21, 2011, 17:27
nix wrote:
Gosh
Well the first house to be sold has been bought by two close friends of ours - a primary teacher and a writer, both long term Avebury lovers.

Be nice to the, if you meet them - whatever you think of the development - I am sure they never realised what a hornets nest they were getting into.

As for me I thought the garage awful and given a few seasons I am sure the newness of these houses will mellow.

I wish your friends well in their new homes - there is a community in Avebury which I'm sure they'll get to know, shame no village school anymore though. I was a regular attendee at the Avebury Open Mic (in the village hall) over the last 2 years which was a great way of bringing local people together. The couple who organised it have now moved away but no reason why your friends couldn't get involved - local musicians turned up regularly as did some musicians who liked it so much they drove down regularly from London to participate.

PS: I hasten to add I don't live in Avebury myself.
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 115 16 17 18 19 20 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index