62 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Re: Humour me
Jul 21, 2004, 19:43
"Shirley that's totally different - and probably a more valid case anyway :-) "

Yes, I accept I didn't get myself across very well to begin with. Careless words cost lives! But thanks for pushing at it until I realised what it was I was trying to say.

"I can not really accept that because another (ancient) culture planned one or two cities using geomantic (?) principles that a much later one would do the same in London."

I wondered what you were getting at. Even if I showed you five million cities that were geomantically designed then it wouldn't say anything about London. As it happens, it seems that most geomantically designed cities (eg. Beijing's Forbidden City, Taipei, Seoul, Baghdad) were built in historic, not prehistoric, times.

Regarding what you say about Dublin - I say go with it, revell in these alignments, real or not. The street I lived on in Glasgow was aligned on the equinoctial sunrise. I'm pretty sure it ended up that way accidentally. But that didn't stop me being blown away when the sun rose exactly at the end of it on the equinox morning. It strikes me that "games" of this sort can add a whole other layer to your experience of a city. I'm obsessed with direction, though, I admit, and am very aware of the four points of the compass wherever I go.

I'll get back to you on pentagrams, if I find anything.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index