London »
WYRD WALKS

62 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Wyrd Brother
13 posts

Re: masonic pentagrams
Jul 20, 2004, 22:53
No, this is far more interesting, basically take the 3 'watkins leys', Strand, St Pauls, London Stone,
all of which are astronomically alligned to Ludgate Hill, Tower Hill or Barbican Hill, and draw them on a map. Then see if you can find two other alignments, one astronomically aligned to Barbican Hill on Mayday, the other roughly N-S and you will find a rough pentagram, well almost the east most arm meets at Notting Hill somewhere (haven't got a big enough OS map to be sure). My theory (for walk, and on Wyrd Walks website to soon) is that the heart of the alignments are astronomical one close to the hills (seen as where the sunrises and sets and so 'underworld gateways') and tribal centres, the rest of the alignment is ritual procession (I'm even more speculative about the 'energy aspects', ' flying stoned shaman' hense the dowsing :) ). The pentagram aspect is either accidental to this or partially contrived, as its completed by a prehistoric track that runs N-S and obviously isn't astronomical.

The historical connection is that the Templars built on the allignment and aqcuired sites on it (like St Clement Danes). Perhaps they had inherited prehistoric info, via Druids, Celtic Church, 'Pagano-Christians' etc, or maybe they just noticed the sunset.

The interesting thing is that the Pentagram becomes a closed London Pentagram under 'Masonic influence' , Wren's church shifting modifies the alignment so that it closes at Tyburn, and subsequent building uptil the 19th century reinforces it. But oddly the post 1717 Masons Hall isnt aligned to pentagram, only the pre 1717 'Jacobite', Wren Masonic one at Connaught rooms.

I've read Hawksmoor, and the spooky thing is although its a novel, my research would indicate that
the siteing of some of the churches on the Pentagram in Wrens time was down to this character, who does seem more intune with the 'pagan' side than Wren, who was into shapes on blueprints more it seems to me.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index