62 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Re: masonic pentagrams
Jul 21, 2004, 05:46
"a prehistoric track that runs N-S and obviously isn't astronomical"

north-south alignments are filled with astronomical potential - they point at the pole star, the axis of the heavens

"I've read Hawksmoor, and the spooky thing is although its a novel, my research would indicate that
the siteing of some of the churches on the Pentagram in Wrens time was down to this character, who does seem more intune with the 'pagan' side than Wren, who was into shapes on blueprints more it seems to me."

Oh yes, it's very much based in fact, those churches were built by "this character" (whose name I can't remember right now - Wren's assistant, though, basically, for those who've not read Hawksmoor), who certainly seems to be more of a medieval mindset that Wren, with his enlightenment mentality. I love Hawksmoor, with it's "shadowe and terror"!

Some of what you say has gone over my head, I'm afraid, I'm a northerner and have only ever visited London twice. I'd like to go on your walk, it sounds fascinating, but lamentably I'll not be there.

Does Primrose Hill have anything to do with all this? See how bad my London geography is, I've no idea if it falls on the potential alignments you mention or not! I ask because of Blake's visions there, though.

Given (a) the fact that London's origins are prehistoric and (b) what we know of the ancients' love of sacred landscape/geomancy/whateveryoucallit, the notion that London has certain geomantic qualities seems to me to be a very real possibility. It's known that other ancient cities were designed with an eye to geomancy, after all. I don't know much about templars and masons, mind you, but from what I little I do know it also seems reasonable to suggest that if they were aware of these lines then they'd continue to build churches on them. I'm thinking of Ilkley Moor, here, I suppose, and the evidence for masonic activity (whatever that activity may have been!) at the ancient sites there.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index