Avebury Bypass

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Re: Avebury Bypass
May 27, 2004, 11:42
Of course just like at Stonehenge, if the neolithic people only built their stones circles away from our roads we wouldn't have these problems,
(I'll get me coat...)
PeteG
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

May 27, 2004, 11:55
Maybe we could also persuade the powers that be to use the opportunity for an extensive tree-felling project at Avebury? I've noticed an increasing number of trees obscuring potentially good photographic compositions. You'd think if the builders were able to erect huge megaliths, laying a bit of tarmac around the stones shouldn't have been beyond them!
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

May 27, 2004, 12:18
I have heared rumours that the NT are planning to remove some of the bigger elm tree's that are destroying the bank but there is opposition from tree lovers.
PeteG
pure joy
pure joy
334 posts

May 27, 2004, 20:02
Put it next to Julian's house - hehe

Swindon massive - well 'ard crew
pure joy
pure joy
334 posts

speed bumps?
May 27, 2004, 20:04
sounds like cars, and bikers, would use them as take-off ramps!
Ike
340 posts

May 28, 2004, 17:13
What about using the Ridgeway ?

;-)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

May 28, 2004, 21:59
A tunnel! Now why didn't I think of that? Maybe we could run it under Silbury itself thereby providing an in-depth (no pun intended) archaeological examination of the Hill while at the same time reinforcing its foundations and sucking out the polystyrene in-fill from below (simultaneously of course pouring in a chalk compound from above). The Avebury Bypass Tunnel could even be enlarged BELOW Silbury to provide an underground car park for Avebury visitors or, perhaps, even to emerge a little further west at West Kennet Long Barrow! Perhaps WKLB could even be set at the centre of a super roundabout - visible to all but accessible only to the foolhardy.

The tunnel possiblties are endless! Thank you (and I haven't even begun to consider the flyover option yet) though I still kinda think a simple bypass is the answer.
megalith6
46 posts

Jun 25, 2004, 23:54
What about a toll road/s - A4361/B4003 - that would naff the lorries, nipping through Avebury to gain a bit of time/profit; it would also raise revenue - hopefully towards the circle and safety measures, such as unobtrusive crossing points, traffic calming schemes, and so forth. Avebury residents of course would be exempt from any toll charge by way of 'resident' windscreen stickers, and so forth?
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jun 26, 2004, 02:49
not a chance,
please try to keep up with the 21st century!
PeteG
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 26, 2004, 10:11
Not sure if the concept of 'twenty one centuries' (or keeping up with whatever those centuries may or may not represent) is particularly relevant to Avebury as a place of pilgrimage and as a World Heritage Site. Eventually something will be done about the ever-increasing volume (and weight) of traffic through Avebury; it is not a question of if - it is a question of when.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index