Avebury Bypass

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Avebury Bypass
Jun 28, 2004, 19:11
Ahh the Avebury Social Club - is that the place where there's a big car park out front and a big playing field out back? Always cordoned off when there's a need to accommodate extra visitors at solstice/equinox time? Wouldn't mine betting that the ancestors of some of the Club's present members had a healthy little hand in stone smashing as well. Come off it Pete, the Aveburyites have always lived in a little time-warp of their own (can't say I blame them really - if I lived there I'd probably feel the same). But Avebury is far more than the village or it's little cliques. When you're a World Heritage site that's just what you are - a place where the world comes to visit - and you don't invite the world to some traffic death-trap, stinking loos, an ice cream van parked in a totally inadequate car park and a miserable bunch of villages who think they own the place (well, they might own some of it but not that much ;).
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 21:10
"Yes, Nigel, I am suggesting the construction of an Avebury bypass".

Ok, fair enough (though I'm still unclear why you think there are no alternative ways of reducing and slowing the traffic).

So the next thing I suppose would be for you to suggest a suitable line for it. But bear in mind, the TMA forum, with a fair sprinkling of HAers as well, isn't the best place in the world to get support for saying things like what does it matter if we lose the odd barrow... ;)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 21:44
Keiller also got rid of the garage from the centre of the circle and initiated Avebury's first excavation/restoration program. What you see today is mainly due to Keiller's vision - considering when he did it (the restoration) he didn't do too bad by modern conservation standards. As for restoring access to Avebury to some bygone dream - no. I'd say the number of dwellings at Avebury is just about right. The number of shops and tea houses could be increased slightly. Public conveniences MUST be improved. Vehicle access HAS to be restricted. Car parks need to be improved and clearly defined pedestrian crossing at the three main points in the Circle must be established.

Oh, and the church and chapel should be demolished (nah - just kiddin' :).
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 21:50
No, Nigel, I'm a conservator not a f*cking civil engineer - so I'll leave the bypass route to those more qualified - but please don't give me the "It's a non-starter argument." The only thing that doesn't start very well in the valley of dreams is the non-starter argument.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 22:02
Nah... Swindon Old Town is still sacred to some. The Lawns are probably built around an old sacred site. Coate Water has a (threatened) circle. Even places like Toothill in West Swindon could tumble back through time to something far more magical...
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 22:04
That would be a beginning.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 22:05
Spot on lemon - you're one of he few so far who sees the difference.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 22:14
Sorry to give you the non-starter argument.
If you want a different argument you'll need the office next door.

;)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 22:17
The debate isn't at an end (see above and below). When the debate is at an end however it'll be locked ;).
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 22:18
That the one to the right or to the left?
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index