Avebury Bypass

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Re: Avebury Bypass
Jun 26, 2004, 12:48
If the pipedream of an Avebury bypass ever happened then the village would die, the tourists would not be able to access the site, the pub would close and the pagans
would go to a more accessable park & pray.
I would be the first in the tree's if it ever happened.
Back in reality the proposal would never get through the planning stages.
PeteG
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 26, 2004, 17:17
Lots of ifs, buts and maybes there and I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'pagans'. Me, my mate Joe and his wife Matilda are neither Christians, Buddhists or anything else but we've been visting Avebury for spiritual and research purposes for more than 50 years.

As for Avebury 'dying' as the result of a bypass. A bypass does not equal a road closure (re: the A12 bypass round Chelmsford which takes all the heavy traffic on a daily basis while the old tree-lined A12 still serves the Chelmsford community. Conveniently, the old A12 runs past Hylands House where the V Concerts are held each summer and, just opposite the entrance to Hylands House, it still plays host to The Rose Cafe - and old truckers' stop which didn't die with the opening of the A12 bypass and which still serves a full English breakfast you could die for (no pun intended). If you're planning to be at V this year don't forget to check out The Rose Cafe!
baza
baza
1308 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 11:39
Your comparison of the A12 and the A4361 is unfair.

The A12 is a trunk road - through traffic is actively encouraged to use it, whereas the A4361 is a local road for local people.

The "old A12" which you write of has been downgraded and is no longer the A12, just as the A361 through Avebury has been downgraded to the A4361 within the fifty years that you've been visiting Avebury. Through traffic is now discouraged from using the A4361. Approaching Avebury from the north, it's very difficult to find the A4361; all through traffic is directed onto the A345 Marlborough road. A good example of this can be seen on multimap. When I ask for the quickest route from my home in the Midlands to Avebury, I am directed to take the A345 from the Swindon by-pass, then the A4 to Beckhampton. There is little through traffic on the A4361 passing Avebury, it's nearly all local traffic.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 17:48
Didn't say the old A12 is the present A12 - I said it was the old A12. You can split hairs here baza until the trucks come home. The main points still stand; A) that Avebury will eventually need to do something about the volume and weight of traffic going through it and B) that a bypass does not equal a road closure. In the case of Avebury of course there will always be an access road to it and to Beckhampton, and the Winterbournes as well - the heavy stuff will use the bypass.
baza
baza
1308 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 20:37
>You can split hairs here baza until the trucks come home.

I've simply reported the facts, it is you who is splitting hairs!

You seem to be taking issue with this sentence of mine:

>The "old A12" which you write of has been downgraded and is no longer the A12, just as the A361 through Avebury has been downgraded to the A4361 within the fifty years that you've been visiting Avebury.

after you had stated:

>......the old tree-lined A12 still serves the Chelmsford community.

I still regard my sentence as a valid statement whereas you are arguing over an irrelevant point.

Leave it out Littlestone.

:o)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 21:32
Isn't the real point that Avebury and zillions of villages need a bypass but of all of them Avebury is the one that'll never get one because of the surrounding archaeological landscape/SSSI etc? There's nowhere to put one, full stop. So the traffic will have to be restricted in some other way. That nice Mr Livingstone could solve it in a jiffy.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 21:33
OK sweetie, let's agree to disagree (on splitting hairs) and return to the two main points. A) Avebury needs a bypass. B) An Avebury bypass would not 'kill' access to either Avebury or its environs.

PS We are actually on the same side here - it's the 'establishment' that's against us.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 21:44
Sorry to disagree with you Nigel but one of the best ways to initiate an archaeological/conservation program is to begin a civil engineering program in the area. Do you really think that outlyng areas of Avebury would ever be archaeologically investigated otherwise?
baza
baza
1308 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 21:44
I agree with you Nigel. There's nowhere to put a bypass anywhere near to Avebury.

As things stand, most of the traffic is local. More through traffic could be discouraged by de-classifying the A4361 to a minor road - whilst still maintaining it to A road standard - thus turning its colour (red) on the map off.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 21:54
"but one of the best ways to initiate an archaeological/conservation program is to begin a civil engineering program in the area."

Aaaaarghh!
(Reaches for gin bottle)
;)

Substitute quarrying for civil engineering and you have Tarmac's slogan.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index