Avebury Bypass

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Avebury Bypass
Jul 04, 2004, 21:49
Spot on Ric. I doubt if roads ever transversed Avebury - they led to it. The main thoroughfare would have been the Ridgeway. I also agree with you that it's almost (well actually no, let's not mince words here) it IS an abomination having such a volume of noisy, smelly and potentially dangerous traffic thundering through one of the world's most sacred and historically important sites.
scousemaiden
160 posts

Jul 05, 2004, 12:48
I thought I was quite polite actually :) !
Scousemaiden xxx
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Jul 05, 2004, 13:12
"you're talking through yer arse" ???

Even though I agree that a bypass is a bad idea and will almost certainly never happen anyway, that's still not the nicest way to phrase your objection, is it? Just coz you don't agree with someone's opinion, there's no need to be nasty about it. I'm sure the guy's sincere in his beliefs, and so ultimately we're all on the same side surely?
Grendel
317 posts

Jul 05, 2004, 16:42
A park and ride would link Avebury up with those who don't have car access (so long as the park was somewhere sensible) plus cut car numbers visiting the village.

It could pay for itself - certainly at weekends - and fits in with 'our' environmental ideals and meet local green travel plans (presuming Wiltshire CC has such a thing).

G
Grendel
317 posts

Jul 05, 2004, 16:43
A park and ride would link Avebury up with those who don't have car access (so long as the park was somewhere sensible) plus cut car numbers visiting the village.

It could pay for itself - certainly at weekends - and fits in with 'our' environmental ideals and meet local green travel plans (presuming Wiltshire CC has such a thing).

G
Grendel
317 posts

Jul 05, 2004, 17:30
How about digging up the Avebury stones...in advance of the civil engineering project as the black river goes through the circle...hmmm.

There have been many a cynic who believe new road routes are drawn up by joining the dots...the dots being scheduled ancient monuments, sites of special scientific interest, ancient woodlands - the list goes on.

A bypass is only the answer after other methods have been tried and I don't believe they have. That means us all getting out of our cars and using alternatives. There needs to be campaigning for those alternatives.

G
Grendel
317 posts

Jul 05, 2004, 17:36
What's a barn or two (even the odd tumuli here or there) got to do with the greater importance of Avebury?

I'm surprised and shocked by that statement! Go the whole hog..what's a few grey stones!
scousemaiden
160 posts

Jul 07, 2004, 13:52
It still means ripping up the beautiful countryside around Avebury to make the park and ride carpark.
Scousemaiden xxx
ToxicDelerium
ToxicDelerium
23 posts

Jul 07, 2004, 14:00
You want to try living round here, then you might understand. Scousemaiden is talking more sense than any of you pseudo intellectuals . Her phraseology may be more base than you're used to ,but it makes more sense than the majority of people on here, who just want everyone to see how clever they can be . There's just no substance in the majority of ramblings on this issue, but at least Scousemaiden is speaking from the heart. nuff said.
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Jul 07, 2004, 14:24
"You want to try living round here, then you might understand. Scousemaiden is talking more sense than any of you pseudo intellectuals . Her phraseology may be more base than you're used to ,but it makes more sense than the majority of people on here, who just want everyone to see how clever they can be . There's just no substance in the majority of ramblings on this issue, but at least Scousemaiden is speaking from the heart. nuff said."

Excuse me, dipshit (hope that's not more base than you're used to). Before you go casting insults around, you might want to check your facts. Far from being a 'pseudo intellectual' (whatever one of those actually is), I'm a working class scouser from toxteth. Amazingly enough, I usually manage to restrain my working-class expletive-laden dialect when posting on public message boards - largely out of respect for people, rather than an attempt to 'prove how clever' I am (although the connection between civility and intelligence eludes me). Perhaps I've spent too long living down south.

Actually, looking back over that last paragraph, I now realise I've used too many 'clever' words. Hopefully though, my willingness to insult you will go some way towards compensating for that. Before you know it, we'll all be trading insults, and we can get along with the real business of being obnoxious to each other, rather than wasting all this time proving how clever we all are.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index