Avebury Bypass

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Avebury Bypass
Jun 27, 2004, 21:56
Not quite sure what you mean by 'local'. If the trucks heading for the Swindon superstores are 'local' then sure. If the mind-shattering rush-hour traffic through Avebury is 'local' then sure (god only knows why they need to thunder through a World Heritage Site though). As for there being nowhere to run a bypass - come off it! What's a barn or two (even the odd tumuli here or there) got to do with the greater importance of Avebury?
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 22:00
Yep, and serve it with plenty of ice and a keen eye. The devil is in the detail and the detail is knowing how to play the game.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 22:13
"(god only knows why they need to thunder through a World Heritage Site though). As for there being nowhere to run a bypass - come off it! What's a barn or two (even the odd tumuli here or there) got to do with the greater importance of Avebury?"

Where is this Avebury of which you speak? Do you mean the Stonehenge-Avebury World Heritage Site which, at last count, contained over 1000 known monuments? You are right to say there's not enough geophiz done, but it's a fact that wherever they do look they find more stuff so the figure of 1000 is bound to be far too low. If you can wend a way through that lot you're welcome to construct a bypass (so long as you don't go through a SSSI or the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty or destroy any Spirit of Place!

Do I gather you're actually lobbying for a bypass? I've heard of a NIMBY but never an IMBYP - In My Back Yard Please! If there's too much traffic call for restrictions, and bans on lorries etc that's the only realistic option surely?
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 22:38
Relax Nigel - you're gonna bust a gut and, as I keep saying, we're all on the same side (I think).

I do know of a Stonehenge World Heritage Site and I do know of an Avebury World Heritage Site. A Stonehenge-Avebury World Heritage Site is a new one on me but I do take on board your point about trillions of archaeological sites between the two - bit like a minfield you could say;).

So what you gonna do? What's actually more important? Let the traffic continue to thunder and crash through Avebury or restore it to some degree of tranquillty? It's up to you, me and our mates on this (and put aside the details for the moment - that's where the devil is).
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 23:42
"Relax Nigel - you're gonna bust a gut"
Not at all, just curious. Are you suggesting constructing an Avebury bypass - you haven't said yet.
I admit that if the Highways authority suggested it I probably would bust a gut, and there'd be the mother of all threads on here and HeritageAction would go into overdrive!

"So what you gonna do?"
-I'm going to not build a bypass!
"Let the traffic continue to thunder and crash through Avebury?"
- no, traffic calming and restricting, if that's what the residents want.

I really don't see this as something where there are lots of options to debate. One is a non-starter, whether it would be a good thing or not.
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jun 27, 2004, 23:52
>if that's what the residents want.

I talked about this tonight at the Avebury social club and none of the resident there want a bypass.
Some 40mph signs entering the WHS and a toll for lorries would work wonders tho.
PeteG
baza
baza
1308 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 00:56
All that's needed is a weight restriction and 20mph speed limit through the henge.
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 01:05
Yes. Extend the speed limited to 40mph through the WHS as they have done at Cherhill and a 20mph through the bends in the henge.
Else stick a feckin huge flyeover alongside the Ridgeway and you get to look down on Avebury as you speed by.
:)
PeteG
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 08:58
Don't joke about flyovers.. now that Stonehenge enquiry has come to an end, Bath council is putting forward the link road(A36 Warminster road to A46 Link to M4). They only partially won the victory in the early 90s with Batheaston bypass and update of A46 (under Solsbury Hill, large expanse of concrete walling). To join both roads they have to go over canal, river and railway line, I doubt if tunnelling will be the option there! local villages are already girding their loins for forthcoming battle.
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 10:38
Not that I'm defending the idea of a by-pass for Avebury, but I imagine the argument would be something along the lines that Newbury by-pass was built to cut journey times, whereas a by-pass at Avebury would be built with the intention of protecting a world heritage site.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index