Avebury »
Avebury Bypass

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Avebury Bypass
Jun 28, 2004, 10:47
PErhaps eventually they could prevent people entering the stone circle at all. For it's own protection mind. Like at stonehenge.
scousemaiden
160 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 11:43
We don't need a bypass. The National Trust are already desperate to close off Avebury and charge you for access to the Stones and make it into another Stonehenge. The plans have been drawn up once and then put on hold. There is too much other beautiful countryside that would be ripped up for a bypass anyway. Besides the Stones at Avebury are made of stern enough stuff to withstand the traffic, its National Trust they need protecting from, so please cut the bypass bollocks and leave Avebury alone.
Scousemaiden xxx
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 11:44
Perhaps I'm being naiive but is the traffic through avebury really causing that much of a problem to the site? Ok so it's hair raising crossing the road sometimes. And it would be nicer to be able to sit there without hearing the thundering traffic.
But do you want to return Avebury to some mythical no-road state? It has obviously always been a hub of the area. Roads must have crossed it for millennia. Is there something of the 'preservation' 'conservation' issue? - what time period do you want to return it to? Shall we get rid of the houses as well (clearly not, though that's what Keiller did - as well as removing lots of trees).
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 11:45
>its National Trust they need protecting from, so please cut the bypass bollocks and leave Avebury alone.

nuff said ;)
PeteG
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 12:22
So is the fly-over still on the cards then? ;o)

On another note, are those little plaques in the village car park that say it's for residents only a new feature, or have I just never noticed them before? Is this policy enforced?

Personally, I don't see the need for a by-pass, although it would be nice to see some restrictions placed on the heavier traffic.

What are the plans that the NT drew up for paying access? How the hell could they implement this in a public place? Would they physically fence off the stones?
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 12:41
Your retina would be scanned by one of the cameras embedded in each of the stones. The entrance fee would then be automatically deducted from your bank account. No need to spoil your experience with ticket booths and unsightly fences.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 12:47
The Avebury part of the World Heritage Site is 22.5 sq kilometres and is entirely surrounded by the North Wessex Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty which is hundreds of square kilometres. So the bypass will have to go via Swindon or am I missing something?
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 12:59
So what's all the fuss about? Sounds ok unless you're the sort of smelly peasant who doesn't have a bank account!
doktoratomik
doktoratomik
379 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 13:00
Excellent! Swindon could do with another great big road ploughed through the middle of it! That's got to qualify as an improvement, surely? ;o)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 28, 2004, 18:46
Yes, Nigel, I am suggesting the construction of an Avebury bypass (I thought that was clear from my opening post). Sorry if that puts us on differents sides of the white line but I prefer an Avebury without super trucks and the madness of a comuter rat-run twice a day.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index