Stonehenge »
Stone Shifting 2

161 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Stone Shifting 2
Aug 29, 2003, 09:10
Have a project title, yes good idea, but which project? Doesn’t it naturally fall into 2 parts, and hasn’t Gordon had two separate ideas? It seems to me that we could first of all make a big deal out of part one, transporting a single standing stone and pivoting it into place. It would be enough to make a big impact in terms of commercial interest and archaeological cred, and might give us a better springboard and support in both respects for going on to the big one.
The idea of “Stone-walking” is such a great one that I’d like it to have it’s own starring role first rather than being eclipsed by the Trilithon thing. Any element of failure in the latter (dare I say there’s at least a possibility of that?) would be a shame in itself but it would be an even bigger tragedy if the stone-walking brainwave was discredited because it was linked with photos of a wonky trilithon…

Yes, Gordon, I know it won’t happen, but I’d just like to know that you’re looked up to by the establishment before you even try. The thing is, part one is pretty much a practise for the big event so you’re going to have to do it anyway, so why not make it a big deal?

Another (tentative, slightly mischievous) thought about the first project: if you’re going to row a stone some distance before erecting it, wouldn’t it be a bit of fun to start the journey by floating it along a local river for a little way? The Bluestone project sounds like a good name. The last attempt to move a bluestone was a bit of a horlicks as you know. Apart from the little matter of sinking it they found dragging it overland was a huge problem. In that respect at least you should be able to demonstrate a far better method. (They had a £100,000 Millennium grant. Wouldn’t it be satisfying for a “humble chippy” to show them how to do it!)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index