Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 18/1/03
Jan 19, 2003, 11:06
Hiya
Hope you all have had a good week.

This is the playlist for the last 7 days

Jethro Tull – Thick as A Brick, Bursting Out Live, Songs From The Wood, Warchild and Living In The Past.
Deep Purple – Shades of Deep Purple and the third self titled album
Deep Purple In Profile – interview disc kindly sent down by Fitter Stoke
Warhorse – Warhorse – Deep Purple spin off band from 1970
Quatermass – Quatermass - Hammond organ led power trio from 1970
Black Sabbath – Master of Reality and Vol. 4
AC/DC- High Voltage and Powerage
The Temptations - Puzzle People/Cloud Nine great soul funk from the early 1970’s reminiscent of Sly and the Family Stone in places
Mother Earth – The People Tree – superb acid jazz release from 1992
Steve Hillage – Fish Rising

That’s me, over to you lot

Joolio
(Still Raining, still dreaming)
moey
moey
770 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 18/1/03
Jan 19, 2003, 11:31
Mary Margaret O Hara - Miss America - Still enjoying this, noticed she guests on somebody's new CD but forgotten who now.

Pulp - We Love Life. - Criminally undersold album - oh Well Jarvis is off to France, so no doubt that will inspire him further.

Pulp - This Is Hardcore - sad that they are not doing (commercially) well when the likes of Oasis sell by the bucket load. I'm not precious about my music - if it is good it deserves to sell - although many on here would disown their heros if they "sold out"

Stephen Jones - Unreleased Demos - Continuing in a Sheffield vein. Stuff I should shut up about, but it is damned good.

Shipcote's Lambton Lion Club - Midget Gems - hehehe some midget gems on here alright, a real summery album, quirky little bugger.

All Aboard The Jumpin' Hot Club (Compilation) After last night's launch gig in Newcastle last night I had to mention this, OK so it's smalltime and mainly acoustic, some of the tracks aren't that great, but there are some real stars included. a lad called Richard dawson had us mesmerised last night - what a voice, and a passion for his music.

Mum - Finally We Are No-one - Icelandic whimsy to chill your fevered brow.

Bjork - Debut - haven't played this for years, what a great album. Human Behaviour is one of those killer opening tracks, and Play Dead - fantastic.

Bjork - Selmasongs (Dancer In The Dark Soundtrack) how can I describe this? Uplifting, Sad, Yearning music. This probably reawakened my interest in Bjork - Ta Pebble Thief.

Porcupine Tree- In Absentia (European edition) Yeah OK so it's sad to buy something more than once, but it did have a shiny bonus disc with extra tracks and pretty good they are too. so nah!

Robert Wyatt - Shleep - another one I haven't played for years, probably since it came out in 97, prompted by mentions on the cover versions thread, I decided to give it a spin.. I like Bob, but some tracks I just can't listen to - ~The Duchess is one of them AAARGH! Thought the track with Eno (Heaps Of Sheeps) was cool.

Elbow - Asleep In The Back - I really like these lot <expects more abuse> Any Day now is another good album opener. Anybody got a high quality FULL copy of their version of Destiny's Childs' "Independent Woman" sheer genius!

Blue Nile - Hats - In principle, I like The Blue Nile. I love Paul Buchanan's voice and some of their songs are ace, but the crystal clear production is sometimes a little too 80's / 90's sounding - A word of advice lads - get your hands dirty and put out a new album - you lazyarses.

Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Out Of Season - Sublime - say no more.

Tim Bowness & Peter Chilvers - Toronto - This is goingto be another of those free CDs soon, but the copy I have has a lot of jitter. Live in Toronto.

Tim Bowness & Peter Chilvers - Overstrand - I got a packetload of CDs from Burning Shed this week, so there is a bit of Chilvers Bias, this is live and out-takes. Some nice stuff.

Peter Chilvers - He Wrote This - Lots of Double Bass and Chapman Stick. hehehehe you lot'll love that - not!

Alias Grace - Storm Blue Evening - Peter Chilvers and an Irish singer called Sandra O Neill - mmmm don't know about this yet. Do I like her voice? I'll get back to you.

Peter Chilvers - Stormwatcher - Still think this is a bloody great instrumental album.

Nitin Sawney - Migration. One of those Indian Themed CDs from Joolio. Now come on Joolio - fess up! I cannot believe you have EVER listened to this.

Cocteau Twins - CD Singles Boxed Set - great! from Lullabies to Iceblink Luck including a cd of 4 rarities, this has gathered dust on my shelf for too long. need to update some of my Cocteaus albums now.

Cocteau Twins - Victorialand - Very scratchy vinyl - but - hey, look what I found - a whole bunch of mid price remasters coming out on Feb 10th. mmmmm bank balance,,,, don't do it...but I got to.....bad moey.

CONTINUES......
moey
moey
770 posts

Soundtracks CONTINUED
Jan 19, 2003, 11:32
And on it goes......

Shivaree - I Oughttta Give you a Shot In The Head for making me live in this dump. - Think I might have mentioned this one before. reminds me very much of someone else but I can't remember who. Like some tracks, some don't do much for me. Nowhere as angsty as the title suggests.

John Barry / Various - Midnight Cowboy. what can I say, the title track is one of my fave pieces of music, a real "longing" in the harmonica. also realised one of the tracks is used as a bed by one of the Radio 1 dj's shoulda known that.

Scott Walker - Sings Jaques Brel - I've got the original albums too, but after catching a bit of Marc Almond on Jonathan Ross's radio prog sat morning I knew I had to dig out Scott.

Jansen, Barbieri & Karn - ISM - most recent album (1999) from the ex Japan men, features the trademark weaving of drums, fretless bass and analogue keyboards. Some vocals by Steve Jansen and Zoe Niblett. Probably their most satisfying release in a long time.

Readymade - Bold - an album I originally bought fro "Sugarfuel" a track with Sylvian singing. Love most of the album (a couple of kakka tracks) nice little electronic sounds, reminds me of some of Bjorks recent work in a way.

Compilation CDRs from Fitz (Jazz Stylee) and Scotty Boy (Blues Stylee) Both great in their own genre.

........And Finally...... "The Other Side Of Japan" a compilation of tracks, mostly from the first two albums, inspired by the Synth pop thread. deffo not synth pop. I'll be singing "Don't Rain On My Parade " all day now heheheh Must buy the first two on CD sometime, but they are normally expensive.

Bye
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Jan 19, 2003, 12:02
Pole - Pole 2: Pops & click spacey dub.

Funki Porcini - Fast Asleep: Jazzy & Ambient: Makes me feel like it is '94 again, and I mean that in a good way.

The Human League - The Golden Hour of The Future: pre Reproduction demos. Lo fi syth amateur experiments. Inconsistent but also great. As recomended by LL.

John Foxx - Metamatic: Used to love this one as a kid. Been listening to a lot of the bonus tracks as less familiar with them. Some of the tracks don't cut it, but many still work to my ears. People don't make music as cold, alienated, harsh yet human, these days.

Fad Gadget - Best Off: Iggy Pop does Synth pop. The fucked up quality to the songs makes it less dated.

Tony Scott - Music For Yoga Meditaion. Verve jazz clarinetist early 60s with sitar backing him. This weeks meditaive offering.

other bits & pieces, but won't list them.
Ms W
94 posts

jeepers!!
Jan 19, 2003, 14:01
goodness moey....im well impressed!

gawd i feel ruff....do mine tomorrow i think
Son Of Alice
41 posts

Impressive!
Jan 19, 2003, 14:14
Wonder if you set some kind of record there for longest STOL list.

I've got quite a lot to look back on myself, but I need to leave for work before long, so I'll be back with mine later.

xxoo
SOA
Beebon
1375 posts

Jan 19, 2003, 14:16
19/01/03

Yo!!!!!!!!!!

Can - Ege Bamyasi: Still on repeated play... especially good to listen to in bed after a smoke or somehting... in the dark :) I still hear new things with each listen, and Sing Swan Song has to be one of their best dongs EVER!

PiL - Flowers Of Romance

The Fall - 2G+2
The Fall - Live At The Witch Trials
The Fall - In:Palace Of Swords Reversed
The Fall - Bend Sinister: Been another Fall filled week it seems :-P Palace of Swords and Bend Sinister were sent ot me by howden, what a nice person! (Cheers dude) Bend Sinister is WAAAAY better than i expected, and is very downbeat compared to other albums. Palace of Swords is brilliant compilation of 80-83 era singles and EP tracks. I'm very happy hehe. Also, had a compilation video sent which is wonderful!

Velvet Underground & Nico: Again :)

Joy Division - Closer

Sonic Youth - Murray Street

Yazoo - Upstairs At Erics: Mentioned this in the Synth Pop thread, brilliant stuff, leant to me by a guy at work :)

Human League - Dare!

Sergius Golowin - Lord Krishna Von Goloka: First time in a while, lovely cosmic folky mellotrony stuff.

Tangerine Dream - Atem: Makes a change ;)

Mogwai - Rock Action: Got this for £3.99 from WH Smith, brilliant album, even if it is very downbeat. Some beautiful moments in there!

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sence DVD: About as much fun as u can get with a concert dvd, always gets me grinning like a comlpete goon.

Pink Fairies - Never Never Land

Harvester - Hemat: Not put this one on in a while, and even though its not as extreme as the Parson Sound stuff, there's brilliant 7+ minutes Velvets-esque rural noise grooves.

The Cure - Boys Dont Cry
The Cure - Head On The Door
Inspired by the cure thread i think....... Boys Dont Cry being a million times better than Head on the Door, which is ok.... but i get quite bored about half-way through.... nice in little chunks methinks. Boys dont Cry has some brilliant little songs though (10:15 on a Saturday Night, Killing an Arab, Fire In Cairo etc,,,)

Thats it for me

Steve :)
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Jan 19, 2003, 14:41
funy that I was just thinking about lacking a copy of Miss America yesterday posibly prompted by finding a copy of the first Julee Cruise cd in the local chain cd store a couple of days back
I found bits of that MMOH lp reminiscent of the Gun Club possibly the country meets jazz thing .

As to Hats by THe Blue Nile does anybody else notice that Downtown Lights seems to be almost a reworded cover of Kraftwerk's Neon Lights?

funny also that somebody's just posted a review of the ATv Industrial sessions since I was thinking about that while listening to The Image has CRacked through for the first time last night, wondering what it was like.
What's vibing up the SEnile Man like?
Stevo
Np Black Sabbath Master Of Reality Children of the Grave
(ah yeah that's the other thing I was gonna say, just read somebody else was lissnin to this lp while I was lissnin to it. wow synchronicity huh?)
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Jan 19, 2003, 15:10
A great week for the old lugholes, this. Treats were:

Pete Brown & His Battered Ornaments 'A Meal You Can Shake Hands With In The Dark' - one listen to this off-the-wall gem is enough to convince anyone of the presence of another great unsung and eccentric genius. This one deserves a full review and will get one soon if I find the time. Suffice to say it's a terrific mish-mash of left-field poetry, jazz, folky elements and hard, hard rock, featuring a young Chris Spedding, future Gong drummer Laurie Allen, 'Ruth Is Stranger Than Richard' sax fiend George Khan, and a lyricist/vocalist who sounds like Roger Chapman with no sense of tuning. Included is a version of 'Politian' that is somewhat removed from the Cream version! The album is totally lacking in discipline or direction and is all the better for it. Those nice people at BGO Records deserve full credit for rescuing this from behind collectors' closed doors (original Harvest vinyls fetch £100!);

Quatermass 'Quatermass' - another Harvest delight, this time courtesy of Joolio. An extremely ambitious and accomplished debut album from a band that sound as if they could have achieved so much more. 'Gemini' is a classic piece of powerhouse rock. Bassist John Gustavson (later of Roxy Music) has a vocal sound very reminiscent of Glenn Hughes methinks;

Coldplay 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head' - a slow grower this, but for all their obvious influences there's no getting away from the fact that Coldplay have some mean songs up their sleeves. The title track and 'Politik' in particular are big, wonderful epics that I can't get through the day without at the moment;

Van Morrison 'Hymns To The Silence' - continuing my Van The Man phase, this is one of those double albums that really should have been a single one, but that said, there's some excellent and vehement Morrison compositions here. And the spoken, not sung, 'On Hyndford Street' is worth the price of admission alone;

Van Morrison 'Saint Dominic's Preview' - 'Astral Weeks' might get all the plaudits, and deservedly, but this is the album that gives the most pleasure. The title track may just be Van's greatest ever song;

Van Morrison & Linda Gail Lewis 'You Win Again' - ugh; next...

Warhorse 'Warhorse' - again courtesy of Joolio, this album from Nick Simper's post-Purple band offers no surprises in that it sounds just like Deep Purple. That's not meant as a criticism: the record is choc-full of quality hard rock and deserves to be in all Purple fans' collections. Joolio's review says it all about this one really;

Roger Chapman 'Live In Berlin' - spurred by the almost identical sounding Pete Brown as above, I dragged this short and sweet live album from the mothballs. Features the great Geoff Whitehorn on searing lead guitar and a version of Oldfield's 'Shadow On The Wall' that makes the original seem somewhat tame;

Deep Purple 'Purpendicular' - their first post-Blackmore album since the 1984 renaissance, and a radical improvement on its immediate predecessors which suffered from the Lorna Doone author's descent into AOR-dom. Fine record, the band given a fresh lease of life by ex-Kansas man Steve Morse;

The Streets 'Original Pirate Material' - I reluctantly concede that this record is getting to me. God knows I hated it on first play, and I still think Mike Skinner is an arrogant sounding git. But I gotta admire his gall. Expert social commentary, Parkinsons-inducing beats and a remarkable production for an album crafted in a council house bedroom. Good album gets Brit nomination shock!

Alltold, a right good week. And if there are some similarities with Joolio's list, well that's his fault for sending me some fine music!
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2612 posts

Jan 19, 2003, 15:18
...almost forgot Billy Nicholl's 'Would you Believe'. Perfect British pop music, nuff said. Should be issued to everyone on the National Health.

...and 'Politian' is really spelt 'P-o-l-i-t-i-t-i-a-n'. Sorry Miss. I left my 'it's out, and not for the lads.

DW
Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index