Re: how can people listen to so much?
Jan 20, 2003, 00:11
Bugger! that's a shame cos I got Foxtrot on now
moey
moey
770 posts

Jan 20, 2003, 00:18
Did I mention the main reasons I have time to listen are I have no girlfriend or life so feww distractions.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Soz, I'll get me coat.
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Moey In Prog Rock Scandal Shock!!
Jan 20, 2003, 00:21
THUD!!!!!!!!!!

(Joolio collapses in disbelief!!!!!)
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Jan 20, 2003, 00:23
I am afraid that I have to agree with Moey and Fitter Stoke on this one 23 (except substitute Radio 5 for Radio 3 and you get the picture)

Joolio
Son Of Alice
41 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 18/1/03
Jan 20, 2003, 00:30
Okay, now I'm ready.

Guns 'n Roses - "The Spaghetti Incident?" This covers collection should have been an EP, but when it's good, it's as good or better than Appetite. Favorites vary from listen to listen. As always, Axl sounds like he was born to sing Nazareth's Hair Of The Dog. And it's obvious that, having grown up in a cow-town, he identifies with the lyrics of UK Subs' Down On The Farm to the bone. He got a lot of crap for singing it in a bad mockney accent, but that's just something Americans can't help doing. Hey, every time I try to sing a Cope song, I slip into a bad imitation of a middle-class Midlander accent. And speaking of Cope...

Julian Cope - "WSYM," "Fried," "Floored Genius 2"
Still haven't gotten tired of any of these. What's left to say? Well, there's always that Fried review I've been putting off.

Billy Idol - "Billy Idol," "Rebel Yell"
I said it before, I'll keep saying it: forget the singles, there's some great album tracks.

Iggy Pop - "Nude & Rude: The Best Of"
Why, oh, why do I still have this? Uh...it's nicely packaged, with one of the infamous Mick Rock nude photos on a lime-green background. But I'll finally get a real Iggy album this week, and Raw Power's on it's way from a branch library for the second time (the Iggy mix, of course.)

Dead Or Alive - "Youthquake"
Here's another 80s artifact I'll defend anytime. Again, forget "You Spin Me Round" and "In Too Deep." I put this on for the album tracks. Didn't include it in the synth-pop thread out of laziness.

Dead Or Alive - "Nukleopatra"
Released in Japan in '95 and the rest of the world in the late 90's, this runs almost 80 minutes and inevitably has way too much filler, so I need to put it on again, but the Rebel Rebel cover still sounded great, as did a few others, like Sex Drive, which rates on its chorus lyric alone:
"Sex drive/It sees no gender or colour/So let's get together and collide with each other/Sex drive/You know how it feels/Get into my car/And get under my wheels"
A plea for tolerance, and an Alice Cooper reference. My kind of lyric.

And Friday's chatroom party alone had a great soundtrack:

Expose, "Exposed" South Florida's only positive contribution to music. I'll admit I have a soft spot for this. I was 14 at the time. But most English-language pop from my formative years now sounds like crap, and this still makes me tingle. So wonderfully girly.

Queen, "Classic Queen" I may get lynched for this, but what can I say? I like them. Besides, it was a comment in the chatroom about hammers that inspired me to put it on.

Three greatest hits collections each defining three different phases of my life as a fan of Latin pop sirens: Lucia Mendez (childhood,) Ana Gabriel (adolescence,) and Paulina Rubio (current as well as catching up with the 90s, when I no longer lived in Latin America.)

xxoo
SOA
Son Of Alice
41 posts

Jan 20, 2003, 00:32
If it makes you feel any better, moey, my situation's exactly the same.

(Now I'LL get MY coat...)
moey
moey
770 posts

Jan 20, 2003, 00:34
HAHAHAHA I don't feel bad about it - that way I can listen to loads of music
moey
moey
770 posts

Re: Moey In Prog Rock Scandal Shock!!
Jan 20, 2003, 00:36
Followed it up with Foxtrot - Suppers ready just started

Mmmmmm might move to 1973, seems cosy there - only joking
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 18/1/03
Jan 20, 2003, 00:55
Hey Alice, ain't nothing wrong with including Queen in your list. They may be perennially uncool but let's face it, we've most of us had our Queen phase during our lives. I still rate the first four albums as superlative hard rock.

I'm sick and tired of the music press telling us who like and who to slag. Much as I dig 'Astral Weeks', 'Pet Sounds' and 'Nevermind', I get at least as much pleasure from 'Queen II', 'Close To The Edge' and 'Made In Japan' - and you'll never see any of those in your greatest album of all time listings.

And I rate 'Rebel Yell' too, including the singles. That riff in the middle of 'Eyes Without A Face' floors me every time.

Go for what YOU like. I do.

DW
Norbert Camembert
7 posts

Clause 23
Jan 20, 2003, 01:05
Official announcement from the Ministry For Musical Affairs.

It has come to our attention that person or persons posting on this website have been listening to more than the permissible number of long playing albums in any one 7 day period. The Ministry for Musical Affairs takes a very dim view of this clearly deviant behaviour. Ministry scientists have scientifically proven that by listening to more full length musical albums than is considered to be safe or indeed socially acceptable then listeners are exposing themselves to the following dangers.

1) Deafness
2) Attention span deficiency
3) Limited artistic appreciation skills
4) Alienation and isolation from friends and family

Therefore the Ministry for Musical Affairs proposes the introduction of the following guidelines to encourage safe musical appreciation and good social conduct from all citizens: -

1) You are only allowed to Listen to 6 albums per week
2) You must give total and undivided attention to your 6 designated albums
3) Your record collection must not exceed 20 albums regardless of format at any one time
4) You must only listen on 8 track cartridge to obtain the highest clarity sound reproduction
5) All play back must be in quadrophonic sound, inferior stereo sound reproduction is not permitted.

Norbert Camembert
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index