Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
pebblesfromheaven
pebblesfromheaven
853 posts

Re: how can people listen to so much?
Jan 20, 2003, 08:23
I do a lot of travelling in my job now.
The music I possess I have listened to too much.
So I listen to the radio, for variety and ease.
But I want to listen to some good new tunes.
But there is so much to choose from.
So I listen to the radio.
Does this count?

.o0O0o.
pebblesfromheaven
pebblesfromheaven
853 posts

Re: Clause 23
Jan 20, 2003, 08:24
Yeah no. 4's a bummer

.o0O0o.
TightPurpleShirt
281 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 18/1/03
Jan 20, 2003, 08:31
DJ Vadim – The art of Listening
Melt Banana – Scratch or stitch
DJ Food & DK – Listen, Now!
Polyphonic Spree – Beginning Stages Of…
Sun o))) – Flight of the Behemoth
Isley Brothers – Givin’ It Back
Temptations - Cloud 9 / Puzzle People
Curtis Mayfield – SuperFly
Zero 7 – Simple Things
Temptations – Psychedelic Shack All Direction
Czukay / Dammers – Canaxis
Boredoms – Boretronix 2
Acid Mothers Temple – Legend of the Over Fiend
Boredoms – Rebore 0
Tortoise remix 12”singles of Millions Now Living...
Faust – Rien
Faust – 1st
Sonic Youth – Sister
Boris – Amplifier Workshop
Mainliner – Psychedelic Atmosphere Beatnik
Psychobaba – On the Roof of Kedar Lodge
Syogo Nari – Black Blues
Zu – Bromio
Musica Transonic – Pilgrims Live
Philosophers Stone – Preparation
Laika – Silver Apples of the Moon
Seefeel – Succour
Spiritualized - Pure Phase
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Jesus & Mary Chain - Psycho Candy

:-)

TpS
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Jan 20, 2003, 09:22
This week my lucky bag contains:

Monte Cazazza - The Worst of
Bathory - Under the Sign of the Black Mark
Bob Dylan - Live 1975
Cibo Matto - Viva la Woman
Peter Hammill - Nadir's Big Chance
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Jan 20, 2003, 11:35
Got me some new CDs ovet the weekend

Shane MacGowan and the Popes - The Snake
Really just from Shane loyalty, will be listening to this properly during the week

Best Of Black Sabbath - Can't be bothered to replace my individual albums vinyl with CD (can't afford to - I ain't selling 'em to get dosh to buy CDs)

Jeff Buckley - Grace, just for that hallelujah song really off Shrek and also Gillian Anderson chose it as one of her desert island disks the other week (I have an ongoing crush on that woman - punky girl, in therapy and on drugs at 14 - my type of gurl)

Julian Cope - The Collection, another best of but it was £2.99 at the record shop and had a coupla tracks on I haven't heard

My colleague played me smashing pumpkins malon collie etc which was OK, I'll give it another chance

Had to listen to pop pap too with the kids in the car over the weekend, tide is high - boo where is debbie, some cheesy quaver pop thing - just the way you are and blue - blah blah blah. I just let em play what they like - they are mad keen on sunspots tho' and we all drive along singing that regularly recently

Do other feel the same I don't like "best of's" - saying that got two over the weekend ... erp ...
cancer boy
cancer boy
977 posts

Oh, and not forgetting...
Jan 20, 2003, 11:50
Mudhoney - Since We've Become Translucent, which sounds like a cross between the Stooges and Gong...
Son Of Alice
41 posts

Jan 20, 2003, 13:17
Thanxxx, Dave. Sometimes I unconsciously fall back on bad habits of shame and defensiveness.

I actually still like most of the singles from Rebel Yell, but lately I've been planning to record a mix tape, or, if I figure out my computer, a CDR, of only the best album tracks from Billy's first two albums, and seeing how it sounds as a whole.

And sorry if any HHers who were in the chatroom with me were bothered by that stupid "I only put Queen on cos of a hammer reference from someone else" bit. I wish I had erased that before I posted the list.

xxoo
SOA
Telepathine
371 posts

Re: how can people listen to so much?
Jan 20, 2003, 16:41
I'm the other end of the scale, Married/ kids etc...
My wife jokes that i love my music more than i do her, and as with many, it's my only real vice, don't drink much or smoke, or bo5ther with drugs anymore. If i walk past a record shop i HAVE to go in...just in case that long lost gem i've been after has suddenly appeared...usually walk out with an armful of stuff i never intended to buy.
As far as listening to a little v.s lots, i guess it's down to mood. Some weeks the record/cd player never gets a rest, other weeks i won't listen to anything at all.
I don't have a car, so my minidisc always has at least five hours of varied stuff crammed onto it for those dreary bus/train journeys. Also whenever I'm out and about locally I'm inevitably accompanied by the MD.
Having a large record collection is a mixed blessing, i must be getting on for 2000 + LP's/CD's/MD's etc and there are still moments when i can't find a tune that fits my mood. In fact this year i resolved to slim down the collection, as there is some stuff in there bought on a whim which I've not got much out of, but still keep 'just in case' the music suddenly 'clicks', but they never do float my boat.
Telepathine
371 posts

Jan 20, 2003, 17:06
A pal from Manchester came to stay for a few days, so he left lots of Cd's new to me that i've been perusing at my leisure.

Current fav's include:-

The Faint - Blank Wave Arcade...New Order meets Depeche Mode in a retro disco futurist way...one for all you 80's heads this week. Really is a goody too, which in turn inspired me to...

John Foxx - Metamatic...still love this even though I've had it since 1981, and the vinyls all knackered.

Living Ornaments 1979/80 - Gary Numan...almost a 'greatest hits' Live. Includes almost all of Numans best moments. As a kid, rather sadly, i knew every word/note of these two albums..I'll get me coat : /

Queens Of The Stoneage - Songs For The Deaf
OK follow up to R Rated, though still doesn't kick as hard as it should...never mind, maybe next time.

Estrus Dynamite Volume 3...Great comp' of Garage/Surf punk from the retro pioneers Estrus.
Includes Man Or Astroman and Monkeywrench (Mudhoney) The Soledad Brothers to name but a few.

The Mummies - Never Been Caught...CD release of early 90's lofi Surf/Garage/Trash classic with extra tracks, though doesn't have the superb cover of 'Out of Our Tree' or the 'Food Sycles Girls' 7". Great nontheless.

Dischord 20 years Box Set....some great and not so great moments on Dischord, Minor Threat, Rites Of Spring, Fugazi, The Untouchables (whose Nic Fit i think Sonik Youth covered?) worth it for the rare and unreleased disc and the nice booklet.

Radio 4 - The New Song And Dance - didn't enjoy this, it's just TOOO 80's (though not good 80's). All in all a bit of a let down compared to the better Gotham CD (though that's not brilliant).

Peel - fabric 7 mix CD...some hilarious versions of Pretty vacant (Purty Vacant) and Lust For Life in a C&W stylee, plus my altime party fave 'Moon Hop' by Derrick Morgan (altogether now! Yea, Yeah, Yeah Yeah, Yeaah, Yeah, Yeah)

Assorted Singles including the great Raveonettes 'Attack Of The Ghost Riders', The Kills Droput Boogie, the Caesars Crackin' Up to name just a few.

That's It, I'm out!
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Jan 20, 2003, 17:38
Also .. went to the library to take back last weeks listening from there, no intention of getting more but just thought I'd have a look. However .. best intentions and all that... got

Marilyn Manson - Mechanical Animals, never listened to any of this before, first listen conclusion, OK too relentlessly bleak and depressing for me, some ok social comment but nothing that really hit me in the face .. yet. There was some stuff I actually didn't like too, so we'll see

Suzanne Vega - got a coupla hers somewhere on tape from about 15 years ago a good easy way to replace the tapes with mp3's which is a current goal

Stevie Nicks - The Wild Heart, just to remind me of old times and hanging out at St Peters rectory in Selsey with friends getting stoned going to parties and listening to biffo's music

Van Morrison - for me further explorations of vtm's music which I had largely ignored until a 2 or 3 years ago when I saw him at the fleadh

Cowboy Junkies - Lay It Down as per recomendations from here

Sinead O'Connor - Faith and Courage hope to go see her in march - not heard this one, but I like her

Shane MacGowan and the Popes - another tape to mp3 conversion item
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index