Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 18/1/03
Jan 19, 2003, 16:10
I'm trashed.......uuuuhnnnn.....ah well, I'll do me best;

Mother Earth - The People Tree. Courtesy of Joolio, top funky rocky noodlings

Jedi Knights - New School Science. Ace robotic beats an breaks

Psychic Warriors Ov Gaia - The Key. Nice mixes and dark and tribal techno things

Mojo Reggae compilation thing from awhile back. Top rankin'.

Fields Of The Nephilim - Elizium. Super portentous flour caked epic goff without a hint of irony. Spooky!

James Brown - Ulimate collection. Double cd best bits of "Hurgh" and so on. Cool

King Tubby - Crucial Dub. Seems to make my flat reek of ganj.

Sundial - Out Of Space, Out Of Time 7" single. Hurrah for them.

Amused By Genitals - I Was A Teenage Robot Monkey Felcher.

Big Chief - Platinum Jive. Faux "greatest hits" grungey rocky stuff

Elbow - Asleep at the Back. Weird someone else has been listening to this this week. Classy, fairly ambitious northern miserablism. Bit like Coldplay's scally cousins sitting alone in a pub on a Sunday afternoon, with warm beer, coming down after a good night out turned to shit.

Mediaeval Baebes - The Rose. Lusty Maidens moste faire perform olde worlde songes and melodies to enchant and beguile from thy magickal hi-fi musick box extraordiniare!!

The Blue Aeroplanes - Swagger. Inventive multi guitared indie arty rock n poetry sorta things. Cool band.

Ian O'Brien - Desert Scores. Got three of this chap's album's now. Top atmospheric jazz hued organic-electronica (note to self; Huh?). Bit like if the 80's King Crimson turned into a dance act. Or is it....? hmmmm. Bit hard to describe at the moment, but then at the moment thinking is fairly hard. Good tunes tho'.

Phew....did it....that;s me then. Too awake to sleep, to knackered to do anything in a world of fuzzy brain spume.
Have a nice week........zzzzzz
Howden
Howden
216 posts

Jan 19, 2003, 19:05
Noah House of Dread - 'Heart'. Been after this for years and was told Action in Preston had it. Absolutely fucking gorgeous On U dub from the early '80s. Been played to death since it arrived.

Senor Coconut - 'El Baile Aleman'. Bought this from Action too as I'd been listening to Kraftwerk a lot lately. Not what I was expecting, but I do like it, especially the train sounds on 'Trans-Europe Express'.

Wire - 'Read and Burn 02'. Complete with "Handcrafted by www.pinkflag.com" medical eye patch?!? Same vein as the first 'R&B'. Frantic as Wire do so well.

PIL - 'Cassette'. The Bill Laswell collaboration. A corker of an album. Thanks to my brother for digging this one out!

Camper Van Beethoven - 'Tusk'. Getting to really love this. I'll maybe get the Fleetwood Mac original from the library some time in the future...

The Cure - 'Hits' & 'Acoustic Hits'. Inspired to dig this out due to thread. Thanks! Some classics, especially on the acoustic album, but have to skip forward past 'The Walk' & 'Let's Go To Bed'... Hate them both! Sorry!

Floating Flower - '1st & 2nd'. Comp sent by Telepathine. Nice.

Tetra Splendour - 'Splendid Animation'. Rocky guitars I caught the end of supporting Fun Lovin' Criminals. Jury's out on this one.

Put together a compilation for a friend who's just had her third child. Tanya Donelly's 'Keeping You' is the most beautiful poetry for celebrating a new birth ever written. Other stuff included Jonathan Richman's 'Theme From Moulin Rouge' (lovely lullaby), Bim Sherman's 'Bewildered' and Cope's 'Beautiful Love' (avoided the obvious 'I'm Your Daddy'!)

Still got loads of stuff to catch up on. Ladytron, Sparklehorse, The Go, Simply Saucer and Innocence Mission are all waiting for me to give them due time and attention... My car, with CD player, should be back with me soon, so journeying to and from work will give me opportunity. Hire car has a cassette player... PIL & The Fall's 'Palace of Swords' have been this week's staple diet.

Have a good week, y'all.
H.
;o )
a23
a23
1004 posts

Jan 19, 2003, 20:05
Hmmmm this week

Nick Cave - Nocturama - the new album, been listening to this over the past week or 2 and not sure about it yet - usually cave albums take their time to grow but this seems a bit of a disappointment overall after No More Shall We Part - though there are some trax that I suspect I'll get to like more

Rallizes - Blind Baby... Enjoying this lilttle sweetie - graet quality opening track, middle one's a bit tedious then The Last One - though this takes about 6 minutes befroe it gets going. Think I've done a permanent injury to my ears playing this in the car

Brain Donor Pagan Ass...Hmmm

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots - gently massaging the parts the Rallizes have fucked up

Idlewild - The Remote Part - adequate indie pop

Kim Fowley - Outrageous - surprised by this one, really good - never knowingly heard any KF before but this hits the mark. Spot on review by Copey this month

Who - Sell Out - not going to be intimidated in my listening by recent events - still a great album

Ultravox! - Ultravox! - still enjoyable after the years. Saturday Night in the City of the Dead!

Radio Birdman - Radios Appear - can't work out how I missed out on this lot first time around. Some good chewns with the Aussie punky stylee

Coil - Music to listen to in the Dark - ooooohh yeah
-actually music to walk the dog to in the dark - and get scared

Tori Amos - Scarlet's Walk
242 posts

how can people listen to so much?
Jan 19, 2003, 22:35
It amazes me the amount of things that people get through listening in a week. Surely they can't give things a proper listen if there's that many. I listen to no more than half a dozen things a week usually. Having a large record collection is a false economy as you never get round to listening to everything.

Anyway, for what it is worth, I have been listening to Brian Eno's Before and After Science. This marks the transition between dada glam punk and more ambient stuff, and very fine it is too (both parts).
Heard someone called Exploding Plastics on John Peels show. I actually thought they were Squarepusher as there was great crazy mixed up beats with slight ambience now and then.

What else? Oh, John Renbourn's Heritage came through the post, and I'm suitably impressed with the ex Pentangler having seen him live. The selection of songs could have been better though.

Also listening to a friend's drum and bass compilation. The only things I can remember are Mr Scruff and Photek.
Beebon
1375 posts

Re: how can people listen to so much?
Jan 19, 2003, 22:47
Dunno.... listen to music whenever i can... on walkman going to and from work, lunch breaks, evenings, in bed, in the mornings and weekends. Sure, u dont listen to stuff properly sometimes.... but over time it seeps in and some things get more plays than others...

steve :)
moey
moey
770 posts

Jan 19, 2003, 23:02
How can people NOT listen to so much music? Music is all around you seeping into your pores, whether you choose to listen to it or let it wash over you is up to you.

So when do I listen to music?

Well, I wake up, I put on some music. I get some food with music on, I shower to the strains of music. I have a half hour drive to work, I listen to music.

I spend a lot of time working on my PC and on the net at home, during which time I constantly have music on. If I visit friends, we play music.

I rarely watch tv,I listen to music instead. If I read, I have music on as a background. I live in the country, if I go anywhere I normally have to drive - music on of course.

Just because I don't sit there with nothing else happening doesn't mean I am not listening to the music. Ask any woman - multi tasking IS possible.

"Having a large record collection is a false economy" Believe me, there is no economy about having a large record collection. IMHO having a small record collection wouldn't be able to satisfy my moods or fads. (although granted in these days of the internet it's easy to get music if you have a fast enough connection <I don't> and you can be arsed.

Six albums a week? yeah, I have weeks like that too - but remember, that's less than one a day.

musicmadmoey

If we all had
moey
moey
770 posts

ooops
Jan 19, 2003, 23:03
dunno where the last line came from
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Jan 19, 2003, 23:42
Well 23, I guess it all comes down to how we live our lives and what our priorities are. Personally, music is the most important thing in my life after my mother and my daughter. I have other interests and loves but my record collection is my personal choice of material nirvana. I rarely watch TV, and when I do it's usually something to do with music or, less often, current affairs or footy. (Mind you, I make an exception for Frasier, Becker and Cheers...US comedy is so much better than UK's these days, but that's another issue). Here's a typical weekday for yours truly:

Wake up, get washed and shaved while listening to Radio 3. I hate pop music in the morning;

Drive to work listening to what I've probably spent a good five minutes choosing to play in the car. Like Moey, I have a 30 minute drive to work, thus allowing for some serious grooving;

Ditto driving home;

Have dinner then watch the news. Around about 8PM sit myself in front of the hi-fi and enjoy around three hours of music: classical, rock or jazz depending upon what sort of mood I'm in. I like to plan classical programmes around a single conductor, orchestra or performer, emulating a live concert the best way I can. Similarly, I'll give myself a 'Canterbury Night', or a 'Purple Night', or a 'Van Morrison Night', or a 'Krautrock Night'...whatever floats my boat at that time. I spent a whole evening listening to Charlie Parker the other week, and loved every minute; the next night I tried the same and had to change to something different. Different days brings different ways.

Basically, since the age of eight I have been obsessed with music of all kinds. I live and breathe records. And what I put in my weekly list here is only the most memorable things I've played, and even then only the rock ones.

Sad but true. Music is my shamen. And I suspect I'm not alone here.

Yours confessionally

Dave W
moey
moey
770 posts

Jan 20, 2003, 00:01
U can list Jazz and Classical if u want Fitter - could be interesting.

I must admit I had a mammoth music session last night and everything played is listed, but it's not anything out of the ordinary.

Moey Still Listening

PS Don't tell Joolio, but NP Nursery Cryme by Genesis circa 1971
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Jan 20, 2003, 00:03
Nah u can't listen to that Moey its too new

Joolio
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index