Unsung Forum »
John Barleycorn reborn......dark Brittania

41 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Mark Coyle
15 posts

Re: John Barleycorn reborn......dark Brittania
Dec 21, 2007, 12:30
I should also perhaps say that the title and design for the set was inspired by the description of 'Harvest Home' celebrations by Bob Pegg (of the wonderful band Mr Fox) in his book 'Rites and Riots'.

Bob has heard the set and given us some very nice words back which was like completing the circle for us.

Ironically I've never heard the Traffic album 'John Barleycorn Must Die' I've always gone back to far earlier sources of the song. I can't hear Traffic without wincing, I always feel Stevie Winwood just sold out his ace soul music to hippiedom. How can you go from the storming 'I'm A Man' to 'Hole In My Shoe' within months. As a former Mod it just shouted 'sell out' to me. I'm sure I'm wrong about this, but it was an instinctual reaction.

Of course it's probably how Paul Weller justifies his gawd-awful version on 'The Imagined Village' release recently.

People also mentioned Dick Gaughn, he told me off mightily once for using green as my site background as he is an advocate of certain web design standards.... but we've stuck with it and got complaints when we dabbled with changing it.

cheers
Mark
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index