41 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: John Barleycorn reborn......dark Brittania
Nov 13, 2007, 14:04
singingringingtree wrote:
I'm as far from "purist" as you like - tell you who i think's an underrated "folk-rock" (ugh!) band = the pogues ... never heard anyone mention them when talking about that horribly-monikered genre

They do turn up in Folk Britannia as the next point along in the history. Is it because of specfically Irish roots that they don't get counted in? though Ashley Hutchings era Steeleye span seems to be picking up on a lot of irish material & Mellow Candle are much revered.
Could be the punk side. Or more general chronological influence on perception. They were doing something interesting with roots music at a time when folk wasn't hip (though thinking about it there were quite a few roots influenced bands, Cave, The Gun Club, Meat Puppets, Nyah fearties, Triffids, The MOb to name but a few),
& I do wonder how widespread an effect they had on the exploration of roots music. Los Lobos said something abouty going back to explore their roots after discovering Fairport Convention's Liege & Lief . I'd be very surprised to find out that there wasn't a similar reaction a generation later on the appearance of the first 2 or 3 Pogues lps. At least in some circles.
I know that a lot of the punks in Holy lands Belfast were rediscovering trad Irish stuff though them.
I've also heard that the band studied the first waves of recordings from New england based ex-pats in the 1920s and 1930s as source material.
There's some really interesting stuff to be heard amongst that. I've got the Proper set Farewell to Ireland which is great. You can hear r'n'r roots amongst the playing in a similar way to blues and hillbilly.
stevo
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index