41 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Nov 11, 2007, 23:05
Re: John Barleycorn reborn......dark Brittania
Nov 11, 2007, 22:50
singingringingtree wrote:

i dug out a good folk record a few days ago = 1st dick gaughan Lp ... really ballsy stuff, brooding + northern, but a million miles from this stuff.
ah, i blame that bastard dave tibet

Oh dear, finger in ear ala Ewan McColl time with Gaughin!
Bleeeuurgh!
I quite like Current 93, what they do doesn't go out to bastardise or sanitise anything, it's just a type of music you either like or don't (those earnest old gits really didn't invent 'folk' anyway, though they'll have you believe they did).
Some find it deeply irritating, fair enough, but see what Shirley and Dolly do for one, decades ago, which you'll probably know anyway. Steeped in tradition yet musically wiping the floor with those boring old farty earnest bores.
But the Cambridge folk festival generally instills dread too, so I am a bit wary of this one.
EDIT: But I note for one the marvellous Sharron Kraus appears, whose music, including an LP with the Espers ladies is rather good).
I understand the dangers of Sunday Supplement prescribed folk music, but not everything made today is.
Open yer mind to some of the wonders of our times (many great things do exist!);-))
I do love much of what has been too...

x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index