41 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Re: John Barleycorn reborn......dark Brittania
Nov 12, 2007, 09:14
shanshee_allures wrote:

Oh dear, finger in ear ala Ewan McColl time with Gaughin!
Bleeeuurgh!

yeah, you may be right, i dunno ... it just hits me in a way not many of the 60s revivalists do.

shanshee_allures wrote:
but see what Shirley and Dolly do for one, decades ago, which you'll probably know anyway. Steeped in tradition yet musically wiping the floor with those boring old farty earnest bores.

i really like 'em when they sound more early music than folk (w/ bigger arrangements + all that) = "love, death + the lady" (now there's a "dark" record) etc

I'm as far from "purist" as you like - tell you who i think's an underrated "folk-rock" (ugh!) band = the pogues ... never heard anyone mention them when talking about that horribly-monikered genre

shanshee_allures wrote:
But I note for one the marvellous Sharron Kraus appears, whose music, including an LP with the Espers ladies is rather good).

never heard her, but saw espers play once - they almost destoyed my will to live! never seen such limpness in so many young people in one place. I stuck around to see the magnificent Rick Bishop play with them for their encore + they even flattened his ooomph. maybe it was aon off night?

shanshee_allures wrote:
Open yer mind to some of the wonders of our times (many great things do exist!);-)

yeah, it's a matter of taste i guess, but those things, for me, tend to be much more "of our times" - top of my head modern sounds i've recently been enjoying include John Wiese, MIA, Coki, Villalobos, black dice ... but richard youngs new CD too - where does he fit in to all this folk stuff?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index