Unsung Forum »
John Barleycorn reborn......dark Brittania

Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
dee
1955 posts

John Barleycorn reborn......dark Brittania
Nov 10, 2007, 20:23
Diggin' it, nice album, what do youse fink??
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: John Barleycorn reborn......dark Brittania
Nov 10, 2007, 21:15
I'm after a copy as soon as funds permit , have you seen the website

http://www.john-barleycorn-reborn.com/Intro.html

has extra downloads to to make up a 3rd CD
mercian
mercian
302 posts

Nov 10, 2007, 21:38
Sounds very interesting.
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Nov 10, 2007, 22:20
since you ask, looks like the worst sort of pseudish trendy half-arsed crap to me ... what's w/ all this "dark" rubbish anyway? are they goths? nazis? odinists? onanists?
i dug out a good folk record a few days ago = 1st dick gaughan Lp ... really ballsy stuff, brooding + northern, but a million miles from this stuff.
ah, i blame that bastard dave tibet
Lawrence
9547 posts

Nov 10, 2007, 23:01
I thought this was about the album by Traffic...
machineryelf
3681 posts

Nov 11, 2007, 07:53
Ha Ha Go stick yer finger in yer ear and blow yer tin whistle:-)
my missus would agree with you though Tibet & Current 93 have managed to usurp Fripp & King Crimson as her most hated musical stylee, she asked me to turn it off and put some of that horrible doom dirge shit on instead because it was slightly less irritating.

I suspect the dark thing is partly to make it ''trendier'' and ''down with the kids'' and partly because it isn't full of happy songs about girls and cars.

Now i'm off to find a Dick Gaughn download, best he's good or I'll be round in the middle of the night to unravel your Arran jumper and pinch the shag tabbaco with a hey ho fiddley roll hip de bippity thwip.
singingringingtree
singingringingtree
964 posts

Nov 11, 2007, 10:34
machineryelf wrote:
my missus would agree with you though Tibet & Current 93 have managed to usurp Fripp & King Crimson as her most hated musical stylee, she asked me to turn it off and put some of that horrible doom dirge shit on instead because it was slightly less irritating.

my wife hates folk too - i have to say "no no, most of what gets called folk is crap, but THIS is good ..." don't think i'm gonna convince her tho (esp w/ dick gaughan!)

i tend to like more ethno-type recordings, like scottish tradition series or alan lomax, where they just go out + fing gnarled old gits who've been singing or playing all their lives .. got a soft spot for early steelye span tho too

Oor Dick G's a stern fucker tho - i've got "no more forevers"+ "gaughan" ... don't know why he doesn't get venerated like shirley collins or the Watersons (maybe it's just english folk that's trendy?), but i'm glad he doesn't /// i checked his website last week too - he's a card, for sure
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Nov 11, 2007, 11:48
singingringingtree wrote:
i tend to like more ethno-type recordings, like scottish tradition series or alan lomax, where they just go out + fing gnarled old gits who've been singing or playing all their lives ..

Yes, absolutely.
The original meaning of folk music, is, of course, that it comes from the folks! Those field recordings are so great because they aren't 'industry' musicians trying to sell you a fabricated impression of authenticity.. it's warts-and-all reality in the music.

I break out in a rash when I hear most of what passes for folk today. It's just as formulaic as any prefab pop... cue the practiced, breathy, earnest vocals, the sensitive guitar chords, the boutique activism... bleh.
machineryelf
3681 posts

Nov 11, 2007, 16:58
found a DG download, an old crackly vinyl rip but he is quite something isn't he, I'll be investigating further.

Another reason for the ''Dark'' labelling is probably market research, in my experience all the old goths, metalheads, drone merchants have decided that there is no way beyond the Sunno))) Khanate route without permenant deafness resulting, and black metal has reached such lightning speeds that the only way out is to revert to something with dare i say it a tune, hence a bunch of folk have started looking at ways to sing about death without becoming Rush's The Necromancer Pt III,and discovered folk where you can sing about death and fairies with relative impunity.That's my take on it anyway, feel free to argue.
dee
1955 posts

Nov 11, 2007, 19:26
The 'Dark' reference is to the Dark Ages, nothing to do with musical style, politics or the occult....the music has a Dark Ages vibe, apparantly...Dee
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index