John Barleycorn reborn......dark Brittania

41 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Beautiful Day
Beautiful Day
779 posts

re:
Nov 11, 2007, 20:37
Not heard the comp yet in it's entirety (looking forward to it though) but I've enjoyed the music of many of the artists on it before and have even worked with several of them on other musical projects myself and to be honest the vast majority of them have nothing to do with that so-called Neo-Folk stuff mentioned earlier in the thread or whatever bollocks name someone wants to give it.
I know Mark the fella who curated this comp occasionally posts on this forum, and he's always been keen to distance himself not only from the trendy posturing of certain so-called "folk" artists (new weird america anyone, blah) who probably dropped "folk music" as a fashion accessory a couple of years ago anyway and even more so those so-called Neo-folk types with extreme right-wing politics.
Without actually hearing the record itself all I can say is that I've never met someone more committed than this compilation's curator in promoting folk music in all it's forms whatever people's vastly differing definitions of the form are, whether it be traditional folk, folk rock, or the more experimentally based stuff the purists like to sniff at. Personally I'm an avid follower of the download label that part produced this comp, and yeah I'll be honest not everything on that label is my cup of tea but I can say without any doubt what these people do is borne out a genuine love of all kinds of folk music not just some passing trend
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index