Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
The Grateful Dead: America's greatest ever band?

93 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
postyesterdayman
postyesterdayman
931 posts

Re: The Grateful Dead: America's greatest ever band?
Jun 12, 2007, 04:13
Oh God, before reading any of the replies, I have to address this most egregious affront to the many great American bands that have existed. As for the Dead, personally, I'd rather inject myself in the neck with a 10cc syringe filled with kerosene and haldol but I know some love this band in a sick, obsessive way. I admit they sometimes had their moments but most of the shit laid to tape probably shouldn't've been, imo only.

Great American Bands lest we Forget (Compiled by a Yank)

In No Order (the greatest might be in there somewhere)

1. Mission of Burma (short lived, brilliant)
2. The Wipers/Greg Sage (I think the best punk band, American or otherwise, of all time. Listen to Doomtown and Over The Edge...gives me the spine chills, then from out of the rage comes humour and pop smarts like on Human Being and Is This Real. Nirvana learned all from them...without the Wipers there'd've been no Seattle Sound).
3.Thirteenth Floor Elevators (Psychedelic music from the south? Hell, psychedelic music in general? I'll take Roky and co.).
4.Big Star
5. Love (definitely Forever Changes might be the best American album ever...maybe).
6. The Doors (as far as impact and the whole package/mystique, it's hard to beat the Doors for best ever. I personally love them.
7. Jimi Hendrix and the Experience
8. Nirvana
9. Urge Overkill (why did they make the list? Listen to their first 2 albums, please. Obviously, Cope likes em).
10. Jane's Addiction (I don't care what anyone says, I love Jane's Addiction, a real band and amazing live).
11. Ween (just brilliant)
12. Mothers of Invention
13. The Byrds
14. Slint (changed indie rock forever, inspired a million bands that sucked).
15.Dinosaur Jr. (the early stuff is pretty great. Not heard the new one).
16. Beach Boys
17.Neutral Milk Hotel (short lived but great band)
18. Stooges/MC5
19. Cheap Trick (best power pop band ever?)
20. The Rolling Stones
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index