Head To Head
Register
Unsung Forum »
The Grateful Dead: America's greatest ever band?

93 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
machineryelf
3681 posts

Re: The Grateful Dead: America's greatest ever band?
Jun 09, 2007, 06:22
On a bit of a Dead kick myself at the mo [Rotterdam '72 is rocking my boat muchly at the mo, along with Cornell '77 and the superb and imho opinion the best of the bunch Live Dead] and as far as live goes i'd say you were spot on, but on the studio side of things i'd say they fail miserably, maybe because all the songs are generally available in better live versions.
But anyone feeling bored on a saturday afternoon would be hard pressed to find a better bargain in Fopp or whatever than to part with a fiver for Live Dead,Europe 72, Bears Choice or American Beauty [probably their finest studio moment]
Worth checking out the whats on Archive org, though much of the best stuff is streamed now

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20creator%3A%22Grateful%20Dead%22

They will always take second place to prime time Allman Bros imho, the expanded live at the Fillmore with Whipping Post/Mountain Jam has not only the finest moment in that jamband type thing but one of the finest live moments in R 'n' R fullstop.
Unfortunately being the Top Gear theme and death fouled up the Allmans chances of lasting greatness.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index