awww shrimp

give the Dog a bone

er...that doesn't read too well does it !! 8-]
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Re: Negative Reviews
Jul 10, 2004, 16:24
I understand the principle, and also appreciate that the rules are sometimes bent. So Floyd are out, but Piper At The Gates Of Dawn could possibly be in, for example.

Is the definition of unsung something that's unpromoted and listened to by a few dedicated musos?

I nominate myself (audience of 1) ha!

or is it down to attitude? hence if Robbie Williams went off and did an album of punk/tuba fusion that was startlingly original and uncommercial, would that qualify?

I suppose we have to use our common sense, and that periodic purges need to take place to expel the lard.
Jasonaparkes
Jasonaparkes
876 posts

Re: Sung/Unsung?
Jul 10, 2004, 16:30
The Pet Shop Boys LP/mini-LP I put on there as it's hard to find & is as valid as celebrating any dance music from the early 90s- I didn't see people getting as worked up about Ultramarine. Perhaps they should have released it under a pseudonym & saved people from getting excited about a once popular act making a relatively obscure record. As Mr Cope referred to INXS in a recent review (New Sensation), I don't think references to well known acts are completely off the spectrum- I'm sure that there are plenty of well known acts on Unsung. I mean, the review of Faith by The Cure on here is excellent and they're 'sung'! Likewise I did the Suede review as they seem to have been lost in the shuffle and it's the kind of LP you see in 2nd hand shops/sales and not in those top 100 type lists. So it's not like I'm taking the piss- I mean it! The next two records I want to review are more obscure though, if that's OK...
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Jul 10, 2004, 16:44
lol

not very likely!!!
direwolf
92 posts

Jul 10, 2004, 16:51
So if all the album reviews are positive and nice, why bother reading them? From what I can tell, if there are no negative reviews then the whole unsung record review section is actually just a list of albums that people like. It is possible that I'm missing something though. I cannot believe that you would actually censor (and that's what you are doing, don't kid yourself) people's opinions!! Scary!
Noah Vale
Noah Vale
299 posts

Jul 10, 2004, 16:55
I think if Mr Williams or someone like that released an 'off the wall' album it would get plenty of reviews elsewhere however bizzare it was. 'Unsung' Is best when it gives praise to 'Unsung' recordings. I see 'Unsung' to mean unknown to most & deserving of praise.

Hallejulianah!
Holy McGrail
Holy McGrail
1257 posts

Jul 10, 2004, 17:10
You're missing a whole load, Direwolf.

UNSUNG is for championing LOST ROCK'N'ROLL.

Your suggestion about why bother reading the reviews - haha, well don't then. In fact, if all you need to know is that they're perceived as 'good', don't listen to any of them either!

> I cannot believe that you would actually censor (and
>that's what you are doing, don't kid yourself) people's >opinions!

I'm not preventing anyone from saying what they want to say about anything - I just might be suggesting that here isn't the right place to do it. Totally fucking different.
The Seth Man
1241 posts

Reviews on Unsung...
Jul 10, 2004, 17:11
I'm going out for a long trip to meet a friend. And when I come back, I'm gonna respond to this

In the time being, ponder this oldie but goodie for a minute: "Better to light a candle than curse the Darkness"

(Er, not THAT, Darkness ... but hey, maybe it works on that level too, come to think about it)
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Sung/Unsung?
Jul 10, 2004, 17:27
The last bit of your message has me worrying that people might now be somewhat reluctant to post since they may be thinking that you have to match up to certain unwritten criteria. I would think that getting a fresh perspective on any music would be something to be encouraged.
I can only think of a couple of reviews that i really would be fundamentally against -the first was that yousuck response to me trying to plug Seth Man's great review of 13FE to people who I thought would be into it , outside of that there have been some label promo things passed off as reviews that I would be very iffy about.
I thought the review section was to post reviews both of unsung records and of unsung perspectives on a few that were better known. Should you simply cut off the review section totally otherwise.
I bet a lot of people have reevaluated things that they wouldn't think twice about otherwise because a fan has written about them there, whether its a record you see everywhere so blank out or a totally unseen article
Stevo
Np Sun Ra Lanquidity Where Pathways Meet
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index