U-Know! Forum »
Who thinks

29 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Who thinks
Oct 06, 2020, 05:25
First, I agree we are being led by a bunch of crooks but not in the same way as you say. It's far simpler and more boring: they are using their power to help themselves, their friends and their sponsors, even where it is against the public interest. The Tories have never acted otherwise.

Second, of course YP is no danger to me. But what about the chap in my street who thinks the same way as him? Isn't he likely to kill me if I meet him? (Fortunately, it's largely academic, as I don't go out but some vulnerable people on my street do and it's only a matter of time before he kills them, yes?)

Third, there have been differing views on the efficacy of masks between different experts and over different times. All any of us can do is take heed of the great majority, which support them. It is bad logic to cherry pick the minority of outliers who support our own preferences. Plus, it's important to recognise it is the efficacy of not infecting OTHERS that is crucial, not efficacy in protecting ourselves. The former is very strongly supported by most experts.

Fourth, I think we can all agree Trump is ignorant and dangerous. He may yet have killed some attendees in the Rose Garden, in the WH and his Limo, we'll see how they get on.

Fifth, you see control everywhere. But I don't think you should ignore the fact some of the controls are merely sensible health measures. There was a crowd of people waving flags outside Trumps hospital, not wearing masks. They were putting their "freedom" to not wear masks above the safety of their colleagues. They can't know for certain that masks don't work, so they had no right to act as if they DID know for certain.

"How anyone can so religiously defend mask wearing is beyond me." They can't, but by exactly the same logic YOU can't be sure either. So here are 2 ticklish questions, no sidestepping please: can I go down the shops? Will I be at risk if I do?

U-Know! Forum Index