Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Aug 19, 2013, 20:42
Re: A Very British Witchcraft
Aug 19, 2013, 20:41
Mustard wrote:

......I've always felt an affinity with native British mythology and culture (such as we know of it), and the landscape resonates with me in a way that I'd describe as spiritual.

Yes, I agree with this whole-heartedly.

Mustard wrote:
Of all the different spiritual practitioners that I've met, however, the ones whose personal ethics, morality, sincerity, conviction and self-sacrifice have impressed me the most have been Christians. Go figure.

No, don't agree with this statement. I have met some genuinely good people who call themselves Christians but just as many complete hypocrites. Same goes with pagans, atheists - you name it. Not sure what you mean by "Go figure"... could you clarify please.
Mustard
1043 posts

Aug 19, 2013, 21:16
tjj wrote:
No, don't agree with this statement. I have met some genuinely good people who call themselves Christians but just as many complete hypocrites. Same goes with pagans, atheists - you name it. Not sure what you mean by "Go figure"... could you clarify please.

I've met complete hypocrites in all walks of life, but I've still met more genuinely spiritual Christians than pagans (and I've met many more pagans that Christians, so the balance is loaded against the Christians in theory).

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=go%20figure
Mustard
1043 posts

Aug 19, 2013, 21:30
Mustard wrote:

Sorry. The second definition, I should say.
ryaner
ryaner
679 posts

Flamin' Nora it is then
Aug 19, 2013, 23:38
;-)
ryaner
ryaner
679 posts

OT Ain't the internet mad?
Aug 19, 2013, 23:42
http://flaming-nora.blogspot.ie/
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Re: OT Ain't the internet mad?
Aug 19, 2013, 23:45
Love the Clanger and the tube-tree-thing.

Still, if that's the blog of the deity we're supposed to be subscribing to, it's no worse than Jedis.

These aren't the stones you're looking for...
Wiggy
1696 posts

Aug 24, 2013, 21:51
I found it interesting to learn about Gardners' formulative influences from his childhood; magic and ceremony in different cultures etc, but I was very intrigued by the tantalising suggestion that there was indeed some form of indigineous British witchcraft being practised prior to and during the period that he was developing "Wicca". Hutton seemed to brush over this, maybe due to lack of written, verifiable source, which is a shame but understandable I suppose.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Aug 24, 2013, 22:59
Wiggy wrote:

I was very intrigued by the tantalising suggestion that there was indeed some form of indigineous British witchcraft being practised prior to and during the period that he was developing "Wicca". Hutton seemed to brush over this, maybe due to lack of written, verifiable source, which is a shame but understandable I suppose.

It has been suggested , and makes sense , that the New Forest coven may well have been based on the discredited writings of Margaret Murray .
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Aug 25, 2013, 09:33
Aug 24, 2013, 23:24
tiompan wrote:
Wiggy wrote:

I was very intrigued by the tantalising suggestion that there was indeed some form of indigineous British witchcraft being practised prior to and during the period that he was developing "Wicca". Hutton seemed to brush over this, maybe due to lack of written, verifiable source, which is a shame but understandable I suppose.

It has been suggested , and makes sense , that the New Forest coven may well have been based on the discredited writings of Margaret Murray .

I was little perplexed by the programme in some ways - the suggestion that Wicca was 'invented' by Gerald Gardner in the early part of the 20th century seems to airbrush 'witchcraft' out of history. Whether witchcraft it actually existed or was just the general scapegoating of women who were a bit alternative (shall we say) - the history of witch trials in England and Scotland is well documented. I would have liked Ronald Hutton had made some reference to this in the programme but he didn't.
Astralcat
Astralcat
742 posts

Edited Aug 25, 2013, 15:37
Aug 25, 2013, 15:36
tjj wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Wiggy wrote:

I was little perplexed by the programme in some ways - the suggestion that Wicca was 'invented' by Gerald Gardner in the early part of the 20th century seems to airbrush 'witchcraft' out of history. Whether witchcraft it actually existed or was just the general scapegoating of women who were a bit alternative (shall we say) - the history of witch trials in England and Scotland is well documented. I would have liked Ronald Hutton had made some reference to this in the programme but he didn't.

I think it was more of an editing/time limit problem. In his seminal work 'Triumph Of The Moon' he does make the distinctions between modern Wicca and traditional witchcraft etc. Wicca has its roots in traditional witchcraft, as well as other systems. Gardner would have no doubt studied Israel Regardie's writings re. the Golden Dawn rituals. I don't think it really matters really. Buddhism was a construct borne out of Vedanta. I think Gardner's intentions were entirely genuine, and as for the efficacy of magic ? Ronald Hutton himself is respectful and sympathetic these days as a result of his studies. I'm not getting into another game of semantic one upmanship, but I will say that yet again, the proof or not is down to personal experience.
Pages: 16 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index